Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service (DFRS) and National Grid are working in partnership to raise awareness of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide gas.
National Grid has supplied DFRS with more than a thousand carbon monoxide alarms, 500 smoke alarm testing sticks and information leaflets for community safety officers and firefighters to give out during ‘Safe and Well’ visits, during which fire prevention advice is given to residents. The visits target those most at risk, including elderly people and families with young children.
DFRS community safety area manager Alex Johnson said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning is potentially fatal and even inhaling low-levels of the gas can cause lasting damage to your health.
“Firefighters and community safety officers work hard to help prevent carbon monoxide poisonings from occurring, especially amongst those who are deemed more vulnerable. With the help of National Grid, the service hopes to further raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide gas and prevent deaths and injuries from happening across Derbyshire.”
Shocking CCTV footage shows moment man smashes glass into another man's face in Buxton pub
Robert Largan column: Have your say now in my survey on how to make our great town even better
Buxton dad targets Three Peaks in 24 hours to help fellow cancer patients
'World’s best sweet shop’ contents up for auction as Peak District owner sells everything to start new adventure
Derbyshire water provider leaks 446 million litres of water every day – amid record high temperatures and dwindling reservoirs
Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ because it cannot be seen, smelt or tasted.
Philip Burrows, stakeholder implementation manager for National Grid, said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning kills around 40 people every year across the country with a further 4,000 people being admitted to hospital with poisoning symptoms, but this can easily be prevented.
“We are delighted to be working with Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service to make Derbyshire residents safer.”
For advice on safety see www.gassaferegister.co.uk