Derbyshire stalker smeared mud on ex’s car “two-three times a week” for three months

A lovelorn Derbyshire man smeared mud over his ex-girlfriend's car “two to three times a week” for three months in a prolonged stalking campaign after she broke up with him.

Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 3:48 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 3:53 pm

Paul Weir, 52, caused nearly £6,000 damage to his scared ex’s vehicle car by soiling it with muck over 30 times - scratching windows and paintwork, a court heard.

In a victim statement read out Chesterfield Magistrates Court heard how Weir’s vendetta left his victim feeling like she was “on a rollercoaster”.

Prosecutor Lynn Bickley told magistrates how the victim had been “waking up” to the damage between September 2020 and January this year.

The “distressed and upset” woman said: “My mental health has deteriorated and every day I don’t know what I’m walking up to.

“I’m afraid to leave my house and I don’t know what he will do next - I feel like he’s playing mind games. I just want my life back.”

The court heard how his ex broke it off with Weir in May 2020 after a two-year relationship when his mental health began to suffer due to heavy drinking.

After heartbroken Weir sent “numerous” messages asking to be taken back with no success he began targeting her car.

Paul Weir, 52, caused nearly £6,000 damage to his scared ex’s vehicle by soiling it with muck over 30 times. Photo: JPI Media/Pixabay

Read More

Read More
Chesterfield man crashed car into truck after knocking back 15 pints

Weir began his creepy campaign by marking a small red cross on a wing mirror and then writing a black mark on its window.

However, over the next three months he would go on to smear the car over thirty times.

In December, after his victim had installed CCTV which led to her identifying him stood over the car making “circular motions” with his arms.

Police arrested Weir on more than one occasion however his harassment campaign continued - even filming his victim while hiding in some trees.

Weir, of Queen Street, Tideswell, who appeared via prison videolink, was found guilty of stalking during a trial.

His case was adjourned until April 27 for sentencing at Derby Crown Court.

A magistrate told him: “This matter is so serious the magistrates court does not have sufficient powers to sentence you today.

“We will commit this matter to the crown court.”

Weir was remanded into custody “to prevent further offending”.

A message from Phil Bramley, Derbyshire Times Editor:

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a subscription or buying a paper.