Crash motorist banned after failing to provide drink-drive breath test

A motorist who failed to provide a drink-drive breath-test specimen after a crash has been banned from driving for 20 months.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 9th June 2016, 1:50 pm
Updated Monday, 13th June 2016, 12:58 pm
Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard how David Morris, 38, of Stoop Close, Chesterfield, crashed his Peugeot into some railings and came to a stop at Deepsick Lane, Arkwright, where he identified himself to attending police.

Prosecuting solicitor Angela Hadfield said: “It was 25 minutes to midnight when a grey Peugeot vehicle was seen reversing out of a side road and away from a railing which the vehicle had just collided into causing damage.

“The vehicle drove to Deepsick Lane and came to a stop after a short distance and the driver identified himself to police.

Sign up to our daily Buxton Advertiser Today newsletter

“He provided a breath-test but appeared to be placing his tongue over the mouthpiece.”

Morris was given two more chances to take the test and failed to do so, according to Mrs Hadfield, and he was taken into custody.

The defendant pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen of breath during an investigation after the incident on May 22.

Defence solicitor Felicity Coats said: “He had been out with his partner and believed he was fit to drive after having two pints.

“He took a roundabout too fast and crashed the vehicle and was reversing the car from the railings when he was pulled over.

“He said he was in shock and he didn’t know what had happened to his partner and that he had genuinely tried to blow into the breathalyser machine.”

The court heard how an inevitable driving ban could mean he loses his job because his job involves 4.30am starts when there is no available public transport.

District Judge Andrew Davison told the court that police had revealed that Morris had smelled of alcohol during the incident and he had been staggering.

Morris was fined £335 and was ordered to pay a £35 victim surcharge and £85 costs.

He was also banned from driving for 20 months with an option to reduce this disqualification by five months if he completes a drink-drive rehabilitation course.