BUXTON ATTACK: 'I hope the offenders are brought to justice'

Mr Davies' injuries - shown in the Facebook post by his wife.Mr Davies' injuries - shown in the Facebook post by his wife.
Mr Davies' injuries - shown in the Facebook post by his wife.
A 63-year-old grandfather who was viciously attacked by a group of youths in Buxton has thanked the people of the town for their 'incredible' support.

Glynn Davies was walking home in the early hours of Sunday morning when he was punched and left in the middle of Dale Road.

The coach driver, who had been out with his brother and work colleagues for Christmas drinks, said: "It had been a good night and I was making my way home when I saw four lads walking towards me. They were carrying a for sale sign which must have been stolen from someone's garden.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"They threw it into the road and I told them they shouldn't have done that as it could be dangerous.

"They became very aggressive and that's when they punched me and I ended up in the middle of the road.

"The lads - who must have been aged 14 or 15 - ran off."

Mr Davies, of Granby Road, said a number of people stopped and came to his aid following the assault.

He was taken to hospital with bruising and cuts to his face and was released after several hours.

"I'm doing OK," he said.

"I've got a bad headache but I'm still here.

Hide Ad

"I keep thinking about what happened and I suppose it could have been a whole lot worse - imagine if someone had been driving up the road and they didn't see me and hit me.

Hide Ad

"I just hope those who committed the crime are caught and brought to justice."

Mr Davies' wife Barbara has published a Facebook post about the attack. It has so far been shared almost 600 times and generated more than 250 messages of support.

Mr Davies said: "I'd like to say a massive thank you to the people of Buxton for their incredible support - including all those who helped me on the night and all those who have commented on Facebook."

Hide Ad

Police said they were called to the street attack at 2.40am on Sunday.

A Derbyshire police spokesman said: "A man was walking along the road when there was a verbal confrontation between him and a group of four youths.

"They punched him in the face then ran off.

"Police are investigating and urge witnesses or anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting incident number 16000420817."