Helsby 7-36 Buxton RUFC - match report

Buxton powered to victory at Helsby last weekend.
Buxton powered to victory at Helsby last weekend.

Buxton travelled to Helsby last Saturday and put in another great performance with a much-changed side.

Buxton started the game playing slightly uphill and into the wind, which allowed Helsby to take the ball straight to the away side.

For the first 15 minutes the hosts pounded the Buxton line only to find no way through the stubborn defence.

It wasn’t until a turnover in possession that the Buxton backs of Austin, Torrance and Armstrong ran the ball out of danger and into the oppositions’ 22.

Some quick rucking by the forwards allowed Kiran Wain to muscle his way through and score the first try of the game, with skipper Summerfield adding the conversion.

From that moment on Helsby’s heads seemed to drop and they gave away penalty after penalty.

The next points came from the boot of Summerfield, Helsby again giving away a cheap penalty for laying over the ball.

Buxton soon racked up another couple of quick tries with the first coming from speedster Ainsley Armstrong, who found some room out wide to finish in the corner.

Wain then showed great power and determination for the third score of the day to make it 24-0 at the break.

Helsby restarted the second half and Buxton tried to replicate the free-flowing rugby of the first 40 minutes.

Buxton’s scrum looked solid all afternoon and the front row of Tommy Carter, Blake Downlings and Colin Rabbits dominated proceedings giving a solid platform for the backs to work from.

The next try came 15 minutes into the half when James Torrance finished off an excellent move that was started by Ben Boomtown and Colin Rabbitts.

Buxton then struggled to maintain such dominance but Helsby continued to show petulance and were soon reduced to 14 men.

After a succession of tap penalties, Wain showed great pace and power to smash through under the posts for his third and final try of the match as Buxton powered to a big away win.

They now sit fifth in South Lancashire/Cheshire Division Three.