Emphatic win for Buxton 2nds

Buxton RUFC 2nd XV in action against Crewe and Nantwich 4th XV. Photo contributed.
Buxton RUFC 2nd XV in action against Crewe and Nantwich 4th XV. Photo contributed.
Share this article

University of Salford Division 5 South: Buxton RUFC 2nd XV 39, Crewe and Nantwich 4th XV 0

BUXTON moved to within touching distance of a promotion place with an emphatic win over Crewe at Sunnyfields.

The hosts, fielding a mixed team of youth and experience, dominated the set-piece from the outset with some textbook scrummaging and pinpoint line-out work.

Skipper Beswick’s involvement was pivotal, as was front row debutant J Pollitt, with the latter showing technique beyond his experience.

Strong running, combined with a range of pre-planned moves, gave Buxton a strong platform.

T S Jervis orchestrated things at the fringes, with scrum half H Gould and C Chapman providing the extra momentum.

It was flanker J Slater, however, who was the inspiration. His direct approach and no-nonsense attacking flair soon had Buxton on the scoresheet after a superb solo break.

T Fenton at No8 was tireless in the tackle covering every blade of grass on the pitch. More fine work from B Kirten in the loose, assisted by J Barber, released Slater for his second of the afternoon.

Not to be outdone, the back division stepped up. A Morris and A Holliday tested the visitors with some explosive plays, and it was no surprise when Holliday sliced through the defence to register another excellent try, converted by prop Pollit.

Crewe tried to pin Buxton back in their own half with some long-range kicking, but A Parkes at full back was more than a match under the high ball.

With T Edge on one wing and I Sanderson on the other, Crewe were never going to breach Buxton’s line.

But Buxton’s attacking style was on display. A Booth in the centres scored his senior debut try after outpacing the defenders.

Buxton ended the half in the ascendency with Jervis and Gould going close.

After the break, Crewe were rejuvenated. Buxton were pinned back for long periods in their own 22m area, and it was some brave last-ditch defending from T Edge which prevented a Crewe try in the corner.

Buxton realised they needed to increase the tempo, so personnel changes were made. S McKenna came on to provide some pace and tackle power out wide, thwarting any possible raids into Buxton territory.

Gould then swerved and jinked his way through the field, setting up Holliday for his second of the afternoon.

Fenton was still working hard ripping the ball; he slipped a neat pass to Slater who ran in 40 metres to bag a hat-trick.

The final score came from A Booth who, in a carbon copy of his first, outpaced the defence for his second of the afternoon.