Buxton RUFC chief delighted as his side reach last eight of RFU competition

Buxton rugby v Cannock
Buxton rugby v Cannock

Buxton RUFC director of rugby Karl de Groot was happy at the way his side ‘dug in’ during Saturday’s victory over Cannock in the RFU Junior Vase.

The Bucks recorded a 19-7 win against the Staffordshire outfit at Sunnyfields in the third round of the competition.

The victory ensures Buxton reach the last eight of the Midlands section and de Groot was delighted at the team’s ability to grind out a result with a under-strength squad.

“The boys put in another gritty performance against robust opposition,” said de Groot.

“We had to dig into the squad this week due to us picking up a few injuries, so the result is really pleasing.

“We only really played to our potential for around 20 minutes, and had to really dig in defensively to close out the game.

“I think the cup games demonstrate where we are as a group, as we’re being tested by teams from all over the Midlands and each time we have responded to the challenge, fairly comfortably.”

“We are now in the last eight in the Midlands section and, looking at the teams that are left, must have every chance of progressing if we keep everyone fit.”

Buxton started the brighter on a dull, damp day at Sunnyfields.

The hosts pressurised Cannock, were recycling possession ferociously and constantly knocking the visitors off the ball.

The trio of Scott, Austin and Passey worked tirelessly and set up Austin, who skipped past two tackles before scoring the day’s first try.

Lomas converted to give the Bucks a 7-0 lead.

The play continued in Buxton’s favour and slick passing from Torrance and Wagstaffe saw Holland break from halfway, side-step two Cannock players and sprint to score under the posts.

Lomas kicked the extras to give the hosts a commanding 14-0 lead at the break.

The hosts made a sloppy start to the second half, with Scott sin-binned for a foul at the ruck early on.

Buxton couldn’t prevent Cannock from scoring their only try soon after, as the visitors halved the deficit to 14-7.

As the game wore on and with the visibility getting poor, Buxton’s discipline and strong defence kept Cannock at bay.

Two minutes from time McGuigan made a dash for the try-line and secured the match-winning score to seal cup progress for the Bucks.

• Buxton are back on league duty this Saturday, with an away trip to Keyworth.