Buxton make a flying start to league season

Buxton Stags v Tupton (blue)
Buxton Stags v Tupton (blue)

Buxton Stags marked the start of the Rugby World Cup in style with a 55-5 victory in their first league game of the season against Tupton at Sunnyfields.

This was a fine performance from a young Buxton Stags team who have been building up to this from last season.

Director of rugby Karl de Groot said: “We were all pleased with the result and a bonus point win from out first league game was a real positive as a lack of these last season cost us dearly.

“In terms of our performance we didn’t really execute as precisely as we have been recently, so we will need to look at that.

“In particular our set piece was poor, so to still score 55 points shows the general level of our game.”

It took Buxton time to settle down with Tupton throwing everything that they had against them in the opening stages of the game.

Buxtons pack soon got the upper hand and on seven minutes the large rumbling frame of Meek crashed over the line for Buxton’s first try, Lomas missing the conversion.

The pressure was turned up and from a poor kick from Tupton’s fly half, McCoy caught the ball and ran in Buxton’s second of the day unopposed, Lomas converting.

Buxton were now picking up the pace and Tupton were at a loss on how to defend the ensuing onslaught.

Wain at No.8 was not to be outdone and from a scrum 15m from the Tupton line, he picked up and sprinted to the line, Lomas converting with his steady left boot.

Now it was the young Buxton backs turn to show what they could do, and from a ball collected in their own half some slick handling from Wagstaffe, Passey and Torrance saw the ball spun out wide to Lomas who outpaced the defence to run in a 50m try, converted by himself.

With a 26 point lead after 30 minutes Buxton were looking confident in all their passages of play.

Pullen, Edwards and Rosamond worked tirelessly to secure good ball and with the scrum getting better, set up No.8 Wain for his second of the day, crashing over the line with ease, Lomas converting.

Not to be outdone, Meek with another trademark bullish run, scored his second of the day, taking two Tupton defenders over the line with him, Lomas adding the extras as Buxton went in 40-0 to the good.

The second half started with Buxton having most of the play again, and a typical break from captain and man of the match Josh de Groot from his own half saw him sprint 20m down the centre of the pitch and unselfishly unload the ball with a great pass to Arthurs, who popped the ball to the ever present Sircar, who dashed for the line to score out wide.

After Lomas had added another three points from a penalty it was fly half Holland’s time to show what he could do as, from a simple chip through the Tupton defence, he collected the ball going over under the posts, Lomas again bagging the two points.

Buxton Stags are in league action this Saturday away against Amber Valley (3pm).