Late despair as Buxton throw away two-goal lead

NARROW DEFEAT -- Buxton's first team were beaten 3-2 by Tamworth.
NARROW DEFEAT -- Buxton's first team were beaten 3-2 by Tamworth.

A late goal condemned Buxton’s first team to an unfortunate 3-2 defeat in their second match of the Midland Men’s Hockey League season.

Travelling to take on Tamworth in the East Midlands Premier division, Buxton roared into a two-goal lead, only to throw it away in the second half.

Starting strongly and passing well, the visitors soon got themselves into some dangerous attacking positions. And a fine ball by Will Mather led to Jon Sewell giving them a half-time lead.

A stern, yet motivating, team-talk at the break, raised spirits further and it was soon 2-0 when Mather played a short corner to man-of-the-match Jamie Wilton, who scored.

However, Tamworth began their fightback moments later by slipping a goal past ‘keeper Dan Robins, and it wasn’t long before they were on level terms.

As things went from bad to worse for Buxton, their youngest player, Louis Forshaw-Perring, was shown a card for a terrible tackle that left his side a man short.

They still upped the intensity, creating plenty of scoring opportunities. But it was the home side who were rewarded with the winning goal.

Buxton return to action this Saturday when they entertain Market Harborough, with an 11.30 am start. This will be followed seven days later, on Saturday, October 24, with another home fixture against North Notts (1.30 pm start).

Also on the losing side were Buxton Ladies, who slid to a 2-0 reverse at home to Ilkeston in Division Two of the Derbyshire Women’s League.

They started well enough, looking to capitalise on the visitors’ lack of a goalkeeper, and pushed forward to challenge the Ilkeston defence.

Nicole Roe fed both wings effectively, while player-of-the-match Annie Baldwin made some terrific runs down the left side and Rebecca Perring battled hard on the right.

However, once their goalie had arrived and joined the play, Ilkeston re-grouped and hit back. With some strong hitters in their team, they were able to get the ball quickly into Buxton’s half and despite the work of Naomi Sessions, Molly Shaw, Karen Ainscow and Emily Bradbury, plus goalkeeper Helen Szostakowicz, the persistent pressure eventually led to the breakthrough goal.

Buxton battled back in the second half, repeating the attacking play that had served them so well earlier. Roe again gained ground through the middle, while substitute Sarah Ingleby pressed down the left after going on for Baldwin. Kirsty Dewberry was unlucky to miss a strike at goal but despite Buxton’s best efforts, they leaked a second goal when Ilkeston’s relentless attack struck again.