Hockey: Narrow defeat for Buxton

Buxton Hockey firsts v Macclesfield (pink)
Buxton Hockey firsts v Macclesfield (pink)

Buxton’s first team went down to a defeat by the odd goal in five after a 3-2 loss at Nottingham Trent.

The game started at a high tempo with both teams looking to dominate from the beginning.

An early injury to Rowlands ended his game with a nasty cut to the head and shortly after this, the University side opened the scoring following a swift breakaway.

This goal kicked Buxton into gear and they soon equalised after a driving run from Hebditch set up Orritt.

The same player then doubled his tally a few minutes later when another through-ball found him and he coolly lofted it over the goalkeeper.

Trent continued to impress but the defence of Mather, Jones and Lomas held strong until half-time.

The second half started in the same fashion, Wilton and Griffin continuing to dominate in midfield and the tricky wing play of Bedworth and Curzon continuing to cause havoc.

Buxton were forced to play with ten men for 15 minutes following a bad tackle on a Buxton player who retaliated.

Sewell was yellow carded though the opposition player went unpunished.

Trent took full advantage by scoring two more goals, one from a short corner.

The hosts themselves were then reduced to ten men late on and although the Bucks threatened an equaliser through good play from Talbot and Orritt, they were thwarted by some outstanding saves from the hosts’ keeper.

Squad: Robins, Mather, Jones, Lomas, Bedworth, Thompson, Curzon, Rowlands, J E WIlton, Griffin, Orritt, Talbot, Sewell, Hebditch.

• Buxton’s fifth side ran out 2-0 winners against Stone Badgers in a friendly encounter.

Stone were a skillful side, who were prevented from scoring by talented young goalkeeper Matthew Schofield.

The game was goalless midway through the second half, thanks to more good goalkeeping and numerous spurned chances by the Buxton attack.

The deadlock was eventually broken following hard work by Player of the Match Harry Hobday.

His work led to Matthew Hunt-Golding finding the net to open the scoring.

The victory was then sealed when Josh Stanway got on the scoresheet to give Buxton a 2-0 win.

• All other games were cancelled due to the snow.