Hockey: Buxton round off the season with seven-goal thriller

Buxton snatched a victory against Nottingham.
Buxton snatched a victory against Nottingham.

Two goals in the final two minutes saw Buxton snatch victory from the jaws of defeat as they beat Nottingham Players 4-3.

The result condemned Notts to relegation from the league.

Buxton played poorly throughout most of their final game of the season but had that little bit of quality that saw them over the line.

The hosts scored quickly, a few minutes after push back as Buxton struggled to get into the game.

A fine strike from Hebditch after a short corner saw them draw level just before half-time.

However, the Bucks switched off again at the start of the second period and the defence seemed to all stop as a Notts player ran on in a swept the ball past Robins in goal.

Buxton soon drew level as Sherlock played the ball in the “D” only to see it deflected past the opposition goalie by one of his own players.

A second own goal of the game saw Notts again take the lead, as a defensive mix up saw P Jones nutmeg Robins.

Buxton pushed forward but it seemed like time was running out until a good move down the right saw the ball end up rolling to Talbot at the top of the “D”.

His first-time effort into the top corner ripped the net off the frame of the goal, leaving the keeper rooted to the spot.

The Players heads’ went down, realising that they were relegated and things got worse as a swift Bucks counter-attack straight through the middle of the pitch saw S Meaton sweep home the winner on his last game for Buxton.

Two other Buxton players also stepped down after the game. Hebditch leaves after a fine season and P Jones retires from first team hockey after fifteen years at the club.

Squad: D Robins (GK), W Mather (C), P Jones, P Ainscow, M Thompson, S Rowlands, W Orritt, J Talbot, T Griffin, M Curzon, W Hebditch, S Meaton, H Sherlock

• Buxton seconds also recorded a 4-3 win, against Nuneaton in their final outing of the season.

All the goals were in the first half, with Edmans scoring twice and Longden getting three assists.

In a tense second half, with neither team managing to score, keeper Bentley was in tremendous form making brilliant saves, including one from a penalty stroke, that ensured Buxton’s victory.

In the first few minutes, the Bucks went into the lead with a well-taken goal at a short corner when Longden’s angled shot was tapped in at the far post by Edmans.

Nuneaton soon replied with two goals when the defence were unable to contain their quick forwards, and then Buxton drew level when Longden found Sewell in the D who lifted the ball over the advancing GK.

The match was quite even with attacks at both ends, the home side going ahead when wing-back J Meaton smashed the ball into goal from the edge of the circle from a right-wing attack involving Wilkinson and Sewell, and then Nuneaton levelled the scores from another fast forward break.

The winning goal came from a short corner on the stroke of half-time, with a Danson stop and reverse pass to Longden who’s shot at goal was again deflected in at the far post by Edmans.

• The thirds overcame the fourths 8-0 in an internal friendly clash.

• The fifths lost 3-2 N Staffs Badgers.

• Elsewhere, a youthful sixth side overcome Barton Badgers 3-2.