Hockey: Bucks firsts in cup exit but secondsstay unbeaten

Buxton Hockey Club.
Buxton Hockey Club.

Buxton’s first and second teams had mixed results last weekend.

(England Hockey Vase, Round 2)

Solihull Blossomfield 4-3 Buxton

Buxton’s cup run came to an end after a narrow defeat to Solihull.

The home side started brightly and passed neatly early on. With Buxton sitting back, inviting pressure onto themselves, it came as no surprise that they fell behind to a short corner.

Solihull pushed men forward and looked dangerous in attack but were weak in defence and Buxton, who drew 2-2 with Loughborough in a league match just 24 hours before, managed to drag themselves back into the contest.

First, Lowton equalised from a short corner, then Orrit latched onto the end of a long ball, rounded the keeper and put the away side 2-1 up.

The lead was not to last long however, as Solihull grabbed an equaliser just before half-time.

After the break, the hosts quickly went in front and then looked comfortable as Rowlands conceded a penalty which was put away confidently to make it 4-2.

Buxton never gave in and Orritt banged another in after being put through by Ainscow but an equalising goal eluded the visitors as they went down valiantly, 4-3.

Buxton now have the league to concentrate on and host Coalville this coming weekend.

Squad: D Balderstone (GK), S Rowlands, W Mather (C), S Lomas, P Ainscow, J Talbot, D Pathe, D Lowton, M Curzon, W Orritt, P Browett.

Leicester University 2nds 2-2 Buxton 2nds

Another great performance by the second string, this time against top-of-the-table Leicester, ensured they remain undefeated.

The home side were dominant in the opening minutes, but the Bucks settled down and before long, striker Sewell scored twice, one from a Heathcote pass on the edge of the ‘D’ and the other following a brilliant run on the left flank by Meaton who crossed with a reverse-stick pass.

The hosts forced a series of short corners, which produced two goals to draw level.

Heathcote couldn’t play in the second half through injury, with Thompson moving to midfield and Drennan to centre back.

The home side threw everything at Buxton and had a ‘goal’ disallowed, but Buxton held on to remain unbeaten.

Squad: D Robins, A Booth, M Lomas, M Thompson, M Hambleton, S Edmans, P Heathcote, P Danson, S Longden, J Sewell, S Meaton, A Drennan.