BUXTON & High Peak junior captain Thomas Guess welcomed a good turnout for the first junior golf competition of the new season.
Jack Gregory finished first in the 18-hole competition, ahead of Jim Morris. James Norton was the 14-hole winner, while Chloe Hodson beat off the challenge of Charlotte Tait Mellor and Daniel Dobson to win the ten-hole competition.
* The pairing of Jacob Bagshaw and Jim Morris posted a score of 47 points to win the 4BBB stableford competition at Buxton & High Peak on Friday April 22, beating Ian Hopkins and Andrew Scowen (44 points) and Garry Bagguley and Dave Moss (43 points).
Ron Clark’s score of 65 beat Paul Hague into second place in Division One of the men’s April Medal competition on Saturday April 23. Other results were: Division 2: 1st, Charley Mycock, 67; 2nd, Alan Burgess, 67. Division 3: 1st, John Walker, 65; 2nd, Claude Davies, 67.
J Gerrard and Elvyn Birch won the 4BBB stableford competition on Sunday April 24 with a score of 46 points. In second place were C Vize and D Howard with 45 points, ahead of R Clark and D Snape with 44 points.
* Chapel-en-le-Frith Golf Club Juniors played a team from Turton, near Bolton, at home in the first round of the Manchester & District Golf Alliance Junior knock-out competition on Monday April 18. Sixty-four teams from the Manchester area are taking part, all aiming to win the BMW Williams Junior Trophy for 2011.
The matchplay competition was played in a friendly spirit, with seven junior players lining up for each team. Despite players’ handicaps being closely matched, Chapel won six out of their seven matches.
On Tuesday April 16, a team of six juniors from Chapel went to Bramhall Golf Club and made a good start in the Derbyshire & Cheshire Junior League One. Junior teams from Bramhall, Cavendish, Chapel, Glossop, Macclesfield and Mellor & Townscliffe compete in the league.
The format is medal play, with the best three nett scores from each team to count for the team score. There are also prizes for the best gross scores and best nett scores on the day.
At Bramhall, it was a shotgun start with groups of two or three players on each tee, comprising juniors from the various clubs. Scoring by the Chapel juniors was good and Fiona Biggin finished with the second best nett score, just ahead of junior captain Tom Hadfield.
* A score of 67 by D Hallam (79-12=67) saw him lead the 1st Division scoring in the first Monthly Medal competition at Chapel-en-le-Frith Golf Club, beating B Naden (82-13=69). Other results: 2nd Division: J Baxter, 83-16=67; M Hague, 84-17=67. 3rd Division: D Hatton, 92-23=69; I Cameron, 92-22=70.
N Woolley and S Woolley finished first in the Easter Pairs 4BBB Stableford with a score of 47 points. They were ahead of M Byatte and J Stocks (46 points) and K Lomas and N Storer (45 points).
* Chris Wood was the Division One winner in the men’s Opening Medal at New Mills Golf Club on Saturday April 23, with his nett score of 64 (65-1=64).
Runner-up was Simon Nunn (79-12=67), while Jack Marshall scored a nett score of 65 but as a junior cannot win in senior competitions. Winner in Division 2 was Matthew Blashill (77-15=62), ahead of Gordon Brady (78-16=62).
* Tideswell United FC will host their annual Golf Day on Friday May 6 at Sickleholme Golf Club, Bamford. The cost is £100 per four-ball, food is included.
For more details and to book a place, contact Dave Bradbury on 07719 710 274.