Ford has one hand on championship

Round seven of the Darley Moor Motor Cycle Road Race Club’s Championship provided something for every motorsport fan.

In the Lightweights/Steel Framed 600 and Pre Injection 600 race Jon Skelson managed to hold off a challenge from Chris Sammons, and in the second race Sammons took the victory by over ten seconds, moving to fourth place in the standings.

Rob Hodson and Chris Spooner battled it out in the combined Formula Darley and Pre 98 races.

Hodson had to hold off Gavin Heath each time, on a Pre 98 machine, to take both race wins and move up to second.

Wez Pearce secured the smaller Pre 98 (upto 500cc) Championship after extending his championship lead to 25 points.

Shane Pearson pipped Jim Hodson to the line by just 0.11 seconds, in a race-long Peak Cup battle.

In the second encounter Pearson couldn’t get in front of Hodson and had to settle for second place in both the race and the standings.

Pearson was able to take his second win of the day in the first Open Solo race, but he and Hodson continued the battle in the second, Hodson taking the race victory and another championship title.

In the first Formula 600 race Smith led for the first five laps before Wardle caught and passed him, finally taking the win by just 0.5 seconds.

Leading from the flag in the second race Wardle took the win with Smith following him home for second.

In the combined GP125 and Formula 125 races Ricky Tarren secured a victory in the first race, by almost eight seconds, but couldn’t repeat it in the second having to follow championship rival Andrew Fisher home by just 0.24 seconds.

In the Formula 125 class Asher Durham recorded two fourth places which has moved him into third place in the championship standings.

The Thunderfest event involved machines ranging in age from 25 to 55-years-old but the winner didn’t have to be the fastest machine.

It was the competitor who could predict their own race speed for race two, a 16-lap session, and was won by Frank Jones on a 1969 Triumph who was within 0.05 seconds of his prediction.

The Sound of Thunder machines returned the track action back to normal and with Jamie Medhurst still absent through injury, High Peak’s James Ford wasn’t quite able to clinch the Championship title this weekend.

After leading throughout Ford was passed on the final lap by Steven Hill and beaten to the line by just 0.2 seconds.

Ford made sure the same did not happen in their second encounter, taking the victory by over seven seconds.

Being the first Mini Sound of Thunder machine home on each occasion, Anthony Porter extended his championship lead beyond the reach of Gary Dangerfield.

With 14 points separating the Allan Schoefield/Steve Thomas sidecar pairing from the top of the Open Sidecar Championship table they certainly showed their intentions to make it a battle to the end by beating current leaders Anthony Eades/Iain Greensmith by over 30 seconds in both races.