Buxton throw it away

Share this article

Buxton 2-3 Rolls Royce

Buxton threw away three points for the second game in succession.

Leading 2-1 at half time, the Bucks let the opposition back in during the second half, wasting a golden opportunity to climb back up the league table.

Rolls Royce started the game brightly but were caught on the counter by a lightning fast Buxton attack. The ball swiftly moved from defence to attack. Browett skilfully flicked on to Orritt who rounded the keeper and stroked the ball into an empty net.

The away team responded straight away. J Davie found himself with time and space on the edge of the “D” and blasted past Balderstone.

The Rolls Royce goal was their only real chance of the first half as the Buxton back line held firm. Bedworth, Jones, Stewart, Mather and in particular, Man of the Match S Lomas turned in fine performances.

Buxton deservedly retook the lead, with Lowton and Meaton exchanging passes and releasing Wilton who bagged his fifth goal in five games.

In the second half, Buxton took their foot off the pedal and let Rolls Royce back into the game. Firstly M Chiu flicked in an equaliser from a short corner and then M Gee grabbed the winner after some slack Buxton defending.

The Bucks went all out to find an equaliser, Curzon missing a sitter on the back post and a last-minute goal mouth scramble almost resulted in a goal but Rolls Royce held out for the win.

Man of Match: S Lomas


Sikh Union (Coventry) II 1 v Buxton II 1

Another great result for Buxton Seconds at Coventry last Saturday, fully deserving a draw against top of the table Sikh Union, albeit their equalising goal only coming in the last few seconds of the match.

It was a very fast and skilfully contested match throughout the 70 minutes, with both teams creating chances, but it was Sikh Union who scored first, mid-way through the first half, following a melee in the circle, when the Bucks failed to clear the ball.

Short corners were awarded to both teams with no results and both keepers had to make several top class saves.

During the second half, Buxton lost two players due to injury, Clayton with a strained ankle and Meaton with a bruised hand.

However, using three substitutes, they continued to match the home side in every department, playing very good hockey and were eventually rewarded with a magnificent goal in the dying seconds of the game.

It started from the back when central defender M Lomas passed to twin brother J Lomas on the left flank, who passed forward to Longden on the wing.

He made a run inside to find Sewell, who dribbled to the edge of the D and passed to youngster Houghton who scored his first goal for Buxton in only his second appearance, by placing his shot wide of the advancing GK.


Saturday, November 26:

Worksop I v Buxton I away; Buxton II v Ashbourne II at home, at 2.00 pm