Buxton bounce back with five star show


A strong Buxton HC first team bounced back from last week’s loss to beat South Nottingham 5-0.

Buxton started the game well, and were quickly rewarded with a goal after Louis Forshaw Perring fired a reverse stick shot past the keeper to make it 1-0.

In the next 10 minutes, Buxton were unplayable, scoring three more goals to make it 4-0 to the hosts. The second came from Joe Uprichard, his second in two games.

Dominic Pathe then added two more to put Buxton firmly in the driving seat.

Buxton came looking for more in the second half and Tom Griffin made it five after an intelligent finish.

The defence were called into action more as fitness faded, but a disciplined display from them as well as some great saves from Robins, kept Buxton’s clean sheet intact - their second of the season.

Buxton now sit second from bottom, six points clear of South Nottingham, and a point behind Derby and more importantly Ramgharia, who they play this week in what will be a tense affair.

A late goal ended hopes of a comeback for Buxton Ladies II as they were beaten 3-1 by Wilfric.

Buxton suffered a blow when the fearless Lauryn Higgins Brown sustained an injury to her knee, spelling the end of her game.

Buxton kept fighting and regularly breaking through Wulfric’s defence, but narrowly missing out on opportunities to score.

However, Wulfric had some luck and managed to slip home two goals.

Sarah Bentley’s first goal this season gave Buxton hope, but Wulfric were awarded a free hit which managed to reach their centre forward, who struck from the top of the D to score the final goal.

Buxton seconds’ frustrating start to the season continued as they lost 4-2 at Leamington Spa.

Despite being stuck in road hold-ups en route, the Bucks began well and went ahead as debutant Jack Bentley set up Charlie Hyland, who placed his shot into the bottom corner.

Consequently, Buxton got complacent and the overall pace and tempo of the game reverted to Leamington who were 2-1 ahead by the break.

With Tom Biddle and Charlie Hyland collecting green cards, the first goal of the second half was again another deflection that bobbled over Joel Clayton.

Buxton then lost stamina and confidence slipped as Leamington buried their final goal of the game into the bottom right corner, a sensational strike.

However, sub Chris Clayton pulled another back.

Despite dominating a very one-sided second half, Buxton’s thirds were unable to overturn two first half goals for Mansfield, losing the game 2-0.

Despite dominating the second half, Buxton thirds were unable to overcome Mansfield’s two first half goals in a 2-0 defeat.

A reshuffled Buxton Badgers saw off Leek A 6-0

Within minutes of the start Charlie Edwards scored the first goal.

Rees Gibbs made it 2-0 before Mathew Schofield came in from the right hand side and slotted the ball home for a half-time score of 3-0.

Leek A decided to field two adult players in defence in the second half, but Buxton were undeterred as Charlie Edwards injected the ball and Rees Gibbs powered it into the back of the net to make it 4-0.

Leek A raised their game, but with some special skills from Jack Hobday and John Everill, Buxton turned the tide and were on the attack again with two further goals from Rees Gibbs.

Buxton U13s kept their unbeaten record this season with three victories at a tournament at Wirksworth.

The first match was against Derwent with Buxton’s centre back Sam Langer and keeper Matt Schofield proving a match for the opposition’s big hits.

The breakthrough came via a reverse stick assist from Dominic Cusco to set up Noah McCahill to score the only goal of the game.

The second match was an overwhelming 5-0 victory over Staffordshire rivals Leek.

Megan Schofield made a guest appearance for the team up front.

Goals came regularly, featuring a brace by Charlie Edwards, one apiece for wingers Alfie Bunting and Dominic Cusco, and finally a penalty corner blasted home by Frankie Heathcote.

The final game versus Chesterfield was fiercely competitive but Buxton’s cleaner tackling giving an edge.

An outstanding aerial pass by Frankie Heathcote bypassed the defence for centre forward Charlie Edwards to sprint onto and score.

Buxton had a succession of penalty corners but these were well defended.

Further goals did follow through Noah McCahill and Charlie Edwards claiming his second to make final score 3-0.