Hockey: Thirds romp to win as fourths secure draw

Buxton Hockey 2nds v Kettering (white)
Buxton Hockey 2nds v Kettering (white)

Buxton’s third and fourth sides were in friendly action last weekend, in the final Saturday before the two senior sides resume their league campaigns.

Buxton 3rds 4

Macclesfield 4ths 0

The last time these teams met, in September, Buxton were trounced by a fast-moving and physical Macclesfield side.

However, the thirds have since turned into a much more formidable unit having played together now for half a season.

Their control of the game was due to good tackling, movement into space and some very good finishing.

The score could well have been into double figures but for some wasteful shots.

By half-time, the home side had opened up a 2-0 lead with both goals scored by Rowlands after defence-splitting passes from Longden and Lowton respectively.

After the interval, Buxton’s continuous pressure kept the ball mostly in Macclesfield’s half, where some excellent goalkeeping denied several goal-bound shots from the slick-moving Lowton.

Betts scored well from a rebound off the keeper’s pads to make it 3-0, before Shane Wilkinson scored a fine solo goal to complete the rout.

Squad: M Wilkinson, S Wilkinson, W Schofield, T Savage, E McKee, A Matthews, T Lowton, C Kerr, J Cross, R Jelbert, J Watson, J Grindey, S Longden, S Betts, S Rowlands

Buxton 4ths 3

Leek Badgers 3

Buxton’s fourth side played local rivals Leek in a keenly-fought contest. Starting well, the hosts took the lead with a neat move through midfield.

Louis Forshaw-Perring played the ball into the danger area for Adam Cook to hit a sweet shot past the oncoming keeper.

Bucks continued to create chances despite not playing their best hockey, but Leek were able to get back into the game with a well-taken equaliser.

In the second half Buxton improved their game a little and Josh Short was able to get the Bucks ahead before Leek again levelled, before then taking a surprise 3-2 lead.

With defeat on the horizon, Short hit a trademark shot from the right-hand side of the field to leave the keeper with no chance as spoils were shared.