Hayfield defeat holders New Mills in final to lift Bissenden Cup

Bissenden Cup Final

New Mills 1st XI 173-8, Hayfield 1st XI 177-6

HAYFIELD Cricket Club lifted the Bissenden Cup for the first time since 1986 with a thrilling victory over holders New Mills.

In a match which saw the momentum swing back and forth, New Mills won the toss in Sunday’s final at Newton CC and elected to bat first.

After a delayed start due to rain - which saw the match reduced to 36 overs per side - New Mills lost an early wicket as Darren Coverley was bowled by Gareth Davies (3-23) with just ten runs on the board.

This brought Jonathan Duckworth to the crease who, with Scott Mills, took the score to 68 before Duckworth was caught behind for 19 by Sam Hudson off the bowling of Davies.

Malcolm Strong came to the middle but saw the well-set Mills bowled by D Aldridge (2-34) for 44 to leave New Mills on 69-3.

Andrew Holmes (4) and M Birchenall (13) both came and went before big-hitting Stuart Whitchurch came to the crease and scored a quickfire 37 - including 22 off one over with a mix of clean hitting and a little luck.

He was eventually stumped off the bowling of D Higginbottom, who also removed Callum Firth for a duck before Strong was the last man out for a well-made 38.

James Stevens (7 not out) and H Marsh (1 not out) saw out the innings to a close on 173-8.

The Hayfield reply got off to a steady start with Russell Evans and S Furness putting on 46 for the first wicket before Strong had Evans caught at cover by Firth for 28.

Another 18 runs were added before a brief rain delay was followed by the run-out at the non-strikers end of Furness (29).

The departure of Hudson (10) brought Julian Burgess out to join Davies. Davies fell for 31, and as Burgess made his way serenely to 34 not out man of the match D Aldridge completed a fine all-round performance by smashing 26 before falling victim to Firth.

Ben Higginbottom came and went without scoring, leaving it to Burgess and D Wood to see Hayfield to a four-wicket victory.