Witton Albion 1-1 Buxton - match report

Ash Palmer.
Ash Palmer.

Buxton were made to make do with a point after being held to a 1-1 draw at struggling Witton Albion.

A goal in the opening quarter and a rousing finale proved insufficient to earn Buxton the three points.

In vastly more favourable conditions compared with the previous Saturday,the Bucks’ only late in the game found a high tempo and intensity.

The visitors, heading into the match on the back of a morale-boosting win at league leaders Skelmersdale, made a positive start with right-back Alex Byrne prominent early on, first firing in a fierce low cross the hosts’ stopper Robertson palmed away, before then making an important interception in defence to thwart Clark’s intelligent forward pass.

However, it was another Buxton defender who gave his side the lead.

Centre-half Ash Palmer, for the second consecutive week, found the net.

Byrne was felled out on the right and when the lofted free-kick arrived, Palmer’s header sailed past Robertson.

Shortly afterwards Ash Burbeary’s pass gave Liam Hardy a clear chance to double the advantage, but the division’s top scorer saw his shot deflected behind for a corner.

Thereafter, Witton came more into contention with forwards Andrews, Rainford and Titchiner showing their ability to create danger.

Twice at the end of the half Witton had the ball in the net, only for both efforts to be ruled offside.

Nevertheless, ten minutes after the interval Albion claimed a legitimate and impressive equaliser.

A corner was only partially cleared to Andrews, whose 22-yard drive screamed into the top of the goal and beyond the reach of debutant Bucks keeper Josh Ollerenshaw.

The introduction of Alastair Taylor gave a new dimension to Buxton’s attacking play and he sent over several promising crosses from the right as Martin McIntosh’s side enjoyed the majority of possession in the last quarter of the match.

Shaun Tuton delayed his shot in front of goal when a goal looked likely, before the introduction of Mark Reed almost resulted in another goal for the Bucks’ veteran.

Witton suffered injuries to their most experienced defenders, Gardner and John Shaw, leaving teenagers to man the barricades but good fortune as well as determination denied the visitors as they were made to settle for a share of the spoils.

Buxton’s next outing sees a third consecutive away game, when they travel to Whitby Town on Saturday (January 24).

Bucks: Ollerenshaw; Byrne, Palmer, Young, Green, Niven (Taylor), Wilson, King, Burbeary, Tuton, Hardy Reed).

Subs not used: Stevens, Ryan, Jameson.

Att: 394.