Whitby Town 1-0 Buxton - match report

Derek Niven was taken off against Whitby. Pic: Andrew Roe.
Derek Niven was taken off against Whitby. Pic: Andrew Roe.

A depleted Buxton side went down to an early goal at Whitby on Wednesday night.

Buxton, who were able to name only two substitutes, gave a spirited display by the seaside as two mid-table teams produced an evenly-contested encounter.

Martin McIntosh, who was already without the services of Sam Brooks and Mark Reed due to work commitments, will have winced when he saw Derek Niven suffer an injury in the second half.

It was the hosts who made the better start and for the first quarter of the match, they were far superior.

Twice inside the opening six minutes Town attackers were in space, but it was the second time around that Lee Mason made no mistake as he netted from the corner of the area.

A tactical change from McIntosh then saw Steve Istead revert to right-back, with Neil Stevens slotting into central midfield.

The alteration transformed the Bucks into a more potent force as they enjoyed a majority of possession but lacked any finishing touch.

Matt Thornhill created a brace of chances for himself, before Lee Morris saw a terrific defensive block deny him a shot at goal.

Further half-chances arrived for Morris, Josh Davies and Ash Palmer before the interval but all were to no avail.

On the resumption an almighty midfield aerial collision looked ominous for Thornhill and Morris, but both managed to recover before the latter sent a 20-yard drive just wide of the target.

Craig King was a constant outlet for the visitors throughout the game and a superb piece of control with the chest set him off on a gallop down the flank before he saw his effort smothered by home custodian Bland.

Niven, who put in a stellar performance during the win at FC United four days prior, then succumbed to his injury which forced a re-shuffle.

Whitby almost took advantage of this when midfielder Armstrong raced through only to be denied by Andy Warrington, who was quick off his line.

The Bucks continued to push forward but efforts from King and Stuart Ludlam both sailed wide as McIntosh’s side went down to a narrow defeat.

Buxton now host Droylsden on Saturday, before the Easter Monday visit to neighbours Matlock.

Bucks: Warrington, Stevens, Palmer, Ludlam, Green, Istead, Niven (Ryan 61), Thornhill, Davies (Handley 82), King, Morris.

Att: 226.