Whitby Town 0-1 Buxton - match report

Tuton hit his 15th goal for Buxton on Saturday
Tuton hit his 15th goal for Buxton on Saturday

If this was to be Shaun Tuton’s last act in a Buxton shirt then it was a welcome parting gift as he scored the winner at Whitby on Saturday.

Tuton is set to go on trial with League Two side Carlisle United next week.

The forward has been scouted by a number of higher-league sides this season but has now taken up the opportunity to join Keith Curle’s team on a trial basis.

On Saturday he hit the only goal of the game as the Bucks kept up their quest for promotion from the Evo-Stik Premier Division.

They achieved the win despite seeing Laurie Wilson having a first-half penalty saved.

The goal came in the 82nd minute and resulted from a brilliant turn by Liam Hardy.

17-goal Hardy then advanced a few yards down the left channel before pulling the ball back for strike partner Tuton to drive home from five yards out.

The visitors then had to defend solidly as Whitby enjoyed an extended spell of pressure, only for substitute Matty Brown to head agonisingly wide.

That late miss typified Whitby’s afternoon.

They were comfortable in possession but their strikers were unconvincing up against a typically resolute visiting Bucks’ defence in which Ash Palmer once again shone.

Indeed, the centre-back was inches away from netting for the third consecutive Saturday as he headed powerfully wide on the hour mark.

At this stage Martin McIntosh’s men were stepping up their pursuit of the decisive first goal and five minutes later, with virtually his first touch, Mark Reed almost opened the scoring.

Reed, on as a sub, saw a goal-bound header deflected over the bar.

Reed’s introduction to the action clearly added to his team’s scoring potential in the last half-hour.

Late on he might have doubled Buxton’s advantage but Craig King, who had run with the ball on the left from deep in defence, crossed marginally too high for the well-placed sub.

The first half was a poor affair, with chances few and far between.

Buxton took their time to grow into the contest and soon enjoyed the first attempts on goal when Palmer and Neil Stevens both saw headers cleared off the line by scampering Whitby defenders.

Five minutes later Buxton were handed a golden chance to open the scoring when Hardy was fouled by home stopper Bland in the box.

Up stepped Wilson but his tame effort was palmed away by Bland, who redeemed himself as the two sides went in at the break on level terms.

Despite this disappointment Buxton remained the better side for much of the game before deservedly taking all three points thanks to Tuton’s late exploits.

Bucks: Ollerenshaw, Byrne, Green, Wilson, Palmer, Young, Burbeary (Reed), Stevens, Tuton, Hardy (Yaylor), King.

Subs Not Used: Niven, Ryan, Jameson.

Att: 366

Keep up-to-date with the latest Buxton FC news at buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/sport