Whaley Bridge push Glossop all the way in county cup clash

Glossop North End 2, Whaley Bridge Athletic 1 (aet)

WHALEY Bridge Athletic went close to an upset at Surrey Street on Wednesday evening as they pushed higher-ranked Glossop North End all the way in the Derbyshire Senior Cup.

After a somewhat scrappy opening, Whaley took the lead on 32 minutes when Lee Morris, who had an outstanding all-round match, latched on to a through ball from midfield and was composed enough to slide the ball calmly past the onrushing Ben Proctor in the Hillmen goal.

The last chance of the half fell to the Hillmen in the shape of Danny Browne, whose left-foot shot on the stroke of half-time clipped the crossbar.

Whaley continued to have the better of the play in the second half, but the Hillmen were thrown a lifeline on 64 minutes when keeper James Tattersall fumbled the ball to Browne just inside the penalty area and subsequently felled the Glossop player.

The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot, and Adam Oakes calmly obliged to level the score.

The visitors went close to regaining the lead when a fine shot by George Burgess brought an excellent save by Proctor, while the Hillmen lost Daley Rothwell to injury and, having used all their substitutions, were forced to play out the remainder of the game with only ten men.

With the game heading towards extra-time, Ben Connolly fired in a wicked free-kick which forced a fine save from Tattersall, and the referee then waved away Hillmen cries for a penalty after a Whaley defender was alleged to have handled the ball, preventing captain Kelvin Lugsden from heading the winner.

However, just three minutes into extra-time a corner from the left was met by a diving header from Browne and the home side were ahead for the first time in the match.

Whaley threw on fresh legs in the form of three substitutions, but the Glossop defence held firm, aided by a fine save low down by Proctor from a shot late in the second period of extra-time.

Tattersall went up for a corner in the dying seconds, but it came to nothing as Glossop won a well-contested match and booked their place in the next round at home to Mickleover Royals, that game scheduled to be played week commencing December 10.

Glossop: Proctor, McNee (Bockarie), Allen, Jones, Lugsden, Browne, Marshall, Oakes, Bond, Rothwell, Hurst (Connolly). Attendance: 209.