Video and match report as nine man Buxton hold FC United of Manchester to draw in FA Cup

Buxton FC v FC United of Manchester (red)
Buxton FC v FC United of Manchester (red)

A superb performance from nine-man Buxton saw them hold out for a 1-1 draw and an FA Cup replay against non-league giants FC United of Manchester.

The Bucks, left shorthanded due to a red card and a late injury, will entertain the National League North side on Wednesday night with what is sure to be a bumper crowd to swell club coffers.

Whoever wins the midweek clash will pocket £7,500 and go on to meet the winners of the Spalding and Sporting Khalsa replay, in the fourth round qualifying stage.

On Saturday, the Red Rebels enjoyed the majority of possession and made more goal-scoring chances, but the Bucks had a monopoly on misfortune with key midfielder Ricky Ravenhill forced off through injury on the half-hour, followed by Alastair Taylor, also injured,in the closing minutes when all three substitutes had already been used.

The responsibility for the Bucks finishing with just nine men lay with referee Backhouse who harshly dismissed Glenn Belezika with a second yellow card in the 85th minute for a foul in midfield, when the defender had been merely outwitted by an opponent’s sharp turn.

Nonetheless heroic defending and goalkeeping in those last hectic 10 minutes meant a happy return home for the sizeable visiting contingent.

The two sides made an even start with the lively Niall Doran making the first opening but his effort was neither cross nor shot, then Joel Bembo-Leta showed his defensive capability with a powerful header.

FC United improved as Ravenhill showed the effects of his injury and Phil Barnes had to begin to display his quality, while Doran’s trickery created a narrow-angle opening for Liam Hardy, whose shot forced a corner off keeper Carnell.

Jamie Green got a crucial touch to a through ball meant for Wolfenden and Barnes saved well from Fallon as FC United broke away rapidly from a failed Buxton short corner routine.

The keeper did even better to deny Lindfield’s header so that Green could clear from the line, but as the interval approached the visitors’ threat increased.

Taylor’s 60-yard dash on the right and aerial cross produced a flapped half-clearance by Carnell, who then was given no chance by Buxton’s goal.

Ash Burbeary, Hardy and Doran contributed to a neat passing move that finished with the excellent Warren Burrell’s slide-rule, 10-yard finish into the far bottom corner of the net.

Remarkably the Bucks could have doubled the advantage within two minutes of the restart.

They had already survived another off-the-line episode and in response forced defender Lynch into a back-pass to Carnell, whose clearance struck onrushing substitute Alex Wiles and rebounded, unluckily for Buxton, merely into the side-netting.

Then Doran’s forward ball for Hardy was only just cut out by Carnell.

By three-quarter time the Reds’ efforts, urged on by the vocal home crowd packed into the former Northwich Victoria stand behind Buxton’s goal, were showing even greater urgency but Barnes was their equal until the 79th minute when he blocked but couldn’t grasp a close-range shot and Greaves forced the ball home at a post.

However, the Buxton keeper was paramount in ensuring the replay as Buxton went down to nine men.

He made a great save from a free-kick while both Greg Young and substitute Tom Buckley did important work before Wright’s drive crossed the face of goal untouched.

So the Bucks terrific effort maintained their exceptional record of just one defeat in nine league and cup matches away to FC United.

Buxton: Barnes; Belezika, Bembo-Leta(j), Young, Green; Doran, Ravenhill(Wiles30), Burrell, Burbeary(Buckley85); Taylor; Hardy(Barraclough79). Unused subs.Jameson, Bembo-Leta(F), Kabeya, Gascoigne.