Steels hold title-chasers

Share this article

Stocksbridge Park Steels gave their survival hopes a boost with a 2-2 draw against second-placed Chorley at Bracken Moor.

However, Steels were left to rue missing a 54th minute penalty that would almost certainly had left the visitors with no way back with Stocksbridge leading 2-0 at the time

Bradley Grayson celebrates  with Danny South (9) after putting Stocksbridge 1-0 up

Bradley Grayson celebrates with Danny South (9) after putting Stocksbridge 1-0 up

Instead it inspired lacklustre Chorley, who had looked anything but a promotion outfit, to a fightback and almost snatch all-three points but for a glaring miss in time added on.

Bradley Grayson gave Steels an 11th minute lead, hooking the ball in from close range after Danny South had helped on a cross.

Jack Ward in the home goal did well to palm James Dean’s snap-shot up in the air on 29 minutes in the visitors’ first real effort on goal. But a minute later Stocksbridge doubled their advantage when South challenged a Chorley defender to a Matt Hamshaw cross with the No 9 reeling away claiming the last touch, though the ball looked to have gone in off the full-back.

Nathan Joynes wasn’t far away with a header from another Hamshaw cross as Darren Schofield’s men looked for the third. The opportunity arrived with the award of the penalty for handball only for South to fire the kick wide.

Chorley were back in it when Paul Jarvis found space to drill a low effort into Ward’s far corner. The equaliser arrived on 67 minutes through defender Keil O’Brien’s far post header at a corner.

Ward made two smart saves before in the first minute of time added on Dale Whitham steered ball wide from a cross when it looked easier to score. But that would had been harsh on Steels who would have been happy with a point before the game but were left to reflect on what might had been.

Worksop Town extended their unbeaten run to 12 games with a 3-2 home win over leaders Skelmersdale United that put Tigers within a point of United.

Tom Denton opened the scoring , nodding in a Jack Muldoon cross. Leon Mettam doubled the lead with a superb turn and shot over the keeper.

Worksop looked home and dry when Mettam picked himself up after being brought down by the keeper to convert a 52nd minute penalty for his 36th goal of the campaign.Skelmersdale rallied when Neil Prince tapped in the rebound after Jon Stewart had parried with Ken Strickland pulling another back 60-seconds later but the Tigers held on for a crucial win.

Matlock Town were beaten 1-0 at Whitby Town, while Buxton went down 2-0 at home to promotion rivals FC United of Manchester, whose fans set off a flare in the Scratching Shed after their team scored (see video).

Sheffield FC saw their Division One South play-off hopes take another knock with a 4-3 defeat at Chasetown, Club’s fifth reversal in the last six.

Paul Sullivan gave the home side a 16th minute lead with a long-range strike but Andy Gascoigne levelled with a penalty. Two goals inside the first four minutes of the second half from Nick Wellcomme and Sullivan with his second left Sheffield chasing the game. When Sullivan completed his hat-trick on 62 minutes with neat finish to make it 4-1 the home side were cruising to victory. However, Sheffield had other ideas as Purkiss clawed one back then Gascoigne with a superb 25-yard effort 10 minutes from time had the hosts hanging on.