Stafford 1-1 Buxton - match report

Buxton FC, Mark Reed
Buxton FC, Mark Reed
Share this article

Buxton conceded a gut-wrenching stoppage time equaliser, as lowly Stafford snatched a point last Saturday.

Substitute Mark Reed came off the Bucks’ bench to score a header before Rangers were reduced to ten men after Jermaine Johnson’s foul on Reed.

However, just when the points looked to be heading back to the Silverlands, the hosts popped up with a 90th-minute leveller through Kayne Woolery.

The setback continues Buxton’s poor record against teams at the foot of Evo-Stik Premier Division. This season Martin McIntosh’s side have taken six points from 18 against sides in the bottom five.

Despite the end result, Buxton dominated for large periods at Marston Road.

In the home goal Johnny Brain put in a terrific performance, producing a near-faultless display that was duly rewarded with the late equaliser.

Early on in the contest Brain twice denied the Bucks with good saves to thwart both Matt Thornhill and Craig King.

In a first-half that was dominated by the visitors, further chances came from Thornhill with a 25-yard shot that just went over and Carlos Logan, who saw a free-kick tipped behind by Brain before his rasping drive was matched by the Stafford goalkeeper.

The second half began with Stafford gaining a greater share of possession without ever really threatening Andy Warrington’s goal.

However a triple change by McIntosh, which saw the introduction of Spencer Harris, Leon Osborne and Reed, injected a sense of urgency into the Bucks’ attacking play.

One of those substitutes, Osborne, was denied by Brain after outpacing the defence.

Thornhill then forced another corner, Grant Black had a low shot cleared off the line and player-assistant Tim Ryan saw a fierce free-kick deflected behind as Bucks stepped up intensity.

Finally the breakthrough came when Reed planted a header past Brain with eight minutes to go before the striker was scythed down by Johnson a minute later and the hosts were down to ten men.

With victory in their sights, Buxton conceded in the first minute of stoppage time after Healy’s shot was saved by Warrington only to fall into the path of Woolery, who gratefully tapped home.

Bucks: Warrington, Black, Green, Istead (Harris), Palmer, Ryan, Thornhill, Stevens, Morris (Osborne), Logan (Reed), King.