Ramsbottom 2-0 Buxton - report

Buxton's Steve Istead struggled against Ramsbottom.
Buxton's Steve Istead struggled against Ramsbottom.

Buxton fell to their first league defeat away from home at in-form Ramsbottom.

Two second half goals did the damage as Martin McIntosh’s side lost further ground on leaders Skelmersdale United.

On the back foot for most of the first half, solid defending and goalkeeping looked as though it would see the Bucks through to the interval on even terms.

However, right-back Steve Istead conceded two fouls inside a minute, the first of which earned a yellow card.

At the interval McIntosh made the sensible decision to replace the defender with Stuart Ludlam but within four minutes the replacement defender had been sent off for a challenge on Dean which clearly denied a goal-scoring opportunity inside the box.

Former Buxton winger Osebi Abadaki blasted home the spot-kick the penalty kick into the roof of Jameson’s net.

The out-of-sort Bucks never recovered and conceded a second goal in the 69th minute.

Dean fired home a superb effort into the far-side of the net.

By this time centre-back Ash Palmer, previously injured by a nasty foul by Hulme, had been forced to hobble off but neither his replacement Jack Broadhead nor the admirable Greg Young could stop Spencer’s cross-field run and his pass set up Dean’s goal.

Thereafter it was all Ramsbottom but Jameson denied the attackers with a trio of commendable saves.

Under serious pressure at a corner, the former Sheffield Wednesday stopper recovered well to claim the ball and then twice denied substitute Lee Pugh.

His best save however had come 15 minutes in, when he dived low to divert a firmly-struck Burton 20-yard drive that was heading for a bottom corner.

Both sides had promising early spells with Palmer averting danger at one end and a Jamie Green free-kick at the other posing a threat.

But it was increasingly the home team on top, with Hulme shooting over the bar then creating an opening with a flicked-header that narrowly eluded Spencer.

Following a Buxton free-kick Craig King put over a cross and Palmer fired back across goal but the ball was cleared and seconds later Green had to clear from his own line.

Such Buxton attacks grew fewer and the visitors couldn’t develop any fluency with Williams and Hardy unable to make an impression and Tuton battling hard without reward.

However, unlike their previous three defeats this season the Bucks were unable to mount a telling response to adversity.

Bucks: Jameson, Istead (Ludlam 46), Green, Stevens, Palmer (Broadhead 64), Young, Williams, Niven, Tuton, Hardy (Reed), King.