Pickering’s men let lead slip at Quorn

Share this article

Evo-Stik Division One South: Quorn 2, New Mills 2

NEW MILLS threw away a two-goal lead on their Evo-Stik League debut as ten-man Quorn rescued an unlikely point.

The Millers made a very confident and competent start and only alert goalkeeping from Matt Nurse deprived Daniel Douglas-Pringle.

Debutant Anthony Field almost made a dream start to his Church Lane career when he was the recipient of a quickly-taken throw-in and his resulting shot from outside the area flew narrowly wide.

New Mills took a deserved lead in the 17th minute when Ian Robinson felled Douglas-Pringle in the box and captain Carlos Meakin confidently dispatched the penalty by sending Nurse the wrong way.

The Millers controlled the majority of the opening 45 minutes and only allowed Quorn one significant chance at goal. Centre-half Danny Jackson misjudged the flight of a long clearance and allowed Kris Nurse a free run on goal, but Jackson made amends with an excellent timed recovery tackle.

The visitors’ advantage may have been increased further on the stroke of the interval when Meakin’s low shot was smothered by the keeper.

Quorn’s plight wasn’t helped five minutes into the second half when they were reduced to ten men. Douglas-Pringle had escaped the home defence and was clean through on goal when Ricky Nurse wrestled him to the ground and the referee had no alternative but to show him a straight red card for denying a goal-scoring opportunity.

The Millers doubled their advantage in the 57th minute. Field started the move and, after also involving Meakin, a clever dummy from Dean Crowe saw Douglas-Pringle collect the ball. With time and space, he completed the superb move with a clinical finish.

Douglas-Pringle, Crowe and Meakin all had opportunities to increase the lead even further.

Despite Ben Procter making an excellent point-blank save to deny Liam Turner, who was sadly stretchered off with a knee injury after his effort, the home side weren’t particularly threatening, but that all changed with the introduction of substitute Sam Leggitt with a quarter of an hour remaining. He scored within two minutes of entering the field of play when he headed home fellow replacement Callum Ross’ cross.

Ross was unlucky to see a header smack off the underside of the crossbar but when the same incident happened with five minutes left, Leggitt’s flashing header was adjudged to have crossed the line to draw Quorn level.

The Millers lived on their nerves in five minutes of stoppage time as the home side piled on the pressure but ultimately they gained a point from a game they should have won.

New Mills: Procter, Bowler, Gorman, Jackson (Edridge), Brown, Grandison, Meakin, Young (Curley), Douglas-Pringle, Crowe, Field.