Morris delivers wonder goal

Whaley Bridge 5, Pilkington 2

After two successive wins in the Derbyshire Senior Cup, Whaley were back to league action at Park Road against Pilkington FC.

Whaley started out with three at the back after resting Des Walker. Pilkington played three upfront to take the game to Whaley. After moving things around Whaley settled down and Lee Morris was quickest to react to two mistakes, intercepting passes by the Pilkington’s Cameron and Dixon, then rounding Pilkington’s keeper Cameron on both occasions, giving Whaley the perfect start after 20 minutes. Pilkington didn’t threaten much but were a big strong side and dangerous from set plays, so when Whaley Bridge failed to clear their lines from a corner, Pilks’ Webber smashed the ball past Tattersall after 30 minutes.

Whaley replied with two quality finishes. Jack Gregory found Lee Morris free and he confidently slipped the ball under the advancing keeper. Minutes later Burgess slid the ball between the Pilkington right back, and Matt Brown placed his powerful shot in at the near post for number four for Whaley.

Pilkington came out in the second half playing for pride and had the better of the first 20 minutes. Whaley’s Brown, Morris Burgess and Sutton all could have scored but for some excellent goal keeping from Cameron. On 75 minutes the home crowd were treated to a wonder goal as Sutton crossed from deep, Lee Morris controlled with his right and before a defender could close him down, he volleyed into the far top right hand corner with his left foot.

Sixteen-year-old Ben Jackson made his Cheshire Premier League debut and could have scored as he beat two defenders but blasted over the bar from 12 yards.

Whaley play Cheadle Linotype next Saturday in the quarter-final of the League Cup. Team J Tattersall G Langford S Dignan (c) C Moss R Newton C Fluery J Gregory G Burgess B Sutton. M Brown (1) L Morris (4). Man of the match for his four goals and now the league’s leading goal scorer: Lee Morris.