Millers’ sweet revenge

editorial image

Vodkat Premier Division

New Mills AFC 4

Padiham 0

FOLLOWING three successive defeats against Padiham, New Mills exacted the perfect revenge to move ever closer to their promotion dream.

There was nothing to choose between the two sides for the initial stages of the first half.

Padiham’s striker Paul Fildes failed to capitalise on an early chance as he ballooned a shot way over the crossbar, while Carlos Meakin’s spectacular overhead effort was well blocked by a defender. The returning Dominic Ingram-Hughes made an excellent block to deny ex-Miller Damien Morrison.

Seven minutes before half time, clever play from newcomer Harry Noon enabled the deadlock to be broken. A precise ball over the top of the defence and Dean Crowe took one touch to control the pass before expertly thumping it past Sean Davis.

Moments later, 17-year-old Noon nearly doubled the home team’s advantage but his low drive was saved.

The Millers celebrated a second goal seconds before half time. Full back Mike Bowler’s cross was poorly dealt with and Crowe emphatically crashed the ball into the roof of the net from eight yards.

Damien Morrison spurned Padiham’s best chance ten minutes after the interval when, with time and space, he crashed his shot way over the crossbar.

It took a potential goal of the season contender for New Mills to increase their lead. With 13 minutes remaining, Padiham’s defence could only half clear the ball into the path of Bowler who unleashed a stunning strike from 30 yards.

Ingram-Hughes pulled off his one notable contribution as he superbly tipped over Paul Fildes’ curling effort with three minutes remaining.

Captain Meakin rounded off his landmark appearance by slotting home the fourth from close range in injury time, following a penetrating run down the right by substitute Carl Carey.

New Mills: Ingram-Hughes, Bowler, Horrocks, Swirad, Barras, Hirst (Monaghan), Meakin, Innes, Crowe, Noon (Carey), Mather. Unused subs: Coyne, Rowe, Procter.