Millers leave it late to bag third win in a row

Evo-Stik Division One North: Goole 2, New Mills 3

NEW MILLS’ third win of a very productive week came courtesy of a late Daryl Weston goal.

Managerless Goole parted company with ex-Buxton chief John Reed during the week, leaving chairman Des O’ Hearn in temporary charge.

The visitors took the lead in the 13th minute when Luke Horrocks fed Daniel Grimshaw. His blocked shot looped fortuitously into the path of striker Jay Burgess who mopped up the rebound from close range.

Goole hit back within 90 seconds. Andrew Mills punched a corner clear to the edge of the penalty area and Andy Jackson’s deflected effort dipped viciously under the crossbar at the last second.

Carlos Meakin and Jay Burgess missed chances for the Millers and Callum Russell headed straight into the grateful hands of Mills from point-blank range, before New Mills regained their advantage eight minutes before the interval following a push on Horrocks. David Fitzpatrick’s pinpoint cross found Grimshaw who beautifully guided his header past Adam Reid.

The game took a dramatic twist as the clock ticked down into first-half stoppage time. Firstly Meakin broke through the offside trap and after choosing to ignore the unmarked Horrocks, elected to round the keeper only for his shot to hit the frame of the goal. Within seconds Goole countered and Mark Baggaley nipped in front of Mills to guide home an equaliser.

Substitute Kristian Cox had a gilt-edged chance at the start of the second period but his header from Fitzpatrick’s corner lacked conviction.

Similar to the first half, both teams had presentable opportunities to get on the scoresheet again but Fitzpatrick and Meakin fizzed efforts narrowly over before Mills beat away Chris Ovington’s strike.

Midway through the second half, Millers skipper Chris Young was involved in a collision whilst challenging for a header. Despite the arrival of an ambulance and a break in play lasting around seven minutes, Young was able to walk off the pitch with thankfully nothing more than a sore head and a cut mouth.

New Mills continued to press forward and again secured the three points with a late goal, this time two minutes into an extended period of stoppage time.

Horrocks’ determination won a corner kick and from the resulting set piece, Daryl Weston turned on a sixpence to send a low shot into the bottom corner from eight yards.

There was still time for substitute Oliver Brennan to grab a point for Goole but his lobbed effort not only cleared the quickly-advancing Andrew Mills but also the crossbar.

New Mills: Mills, Armstrong, Fitzpatrick, Weston, Bowler, Innes (Fish), Meakin, Young (Headley), Burgess (Cox), Grimshaw, Horrocks. Unused subs: Moore, Moss. Att: 128.