Marine 1-2 Buxton - match report

Liam Hardy.
Liam Hardy.

Buxton secured their first win of the season thanks to a 2-1 triumph at Marine last Saturday.

Goals in either half from Liam Hardy and Shaun Tuton secured the points, as Martin McIntosh’s side made it four without loss following three consecutive stalemates.

The Bucks looked the more accomplished side throughout, with a number of pleasing individual performances to give the manager much to consider with regards to future personnel choices.

Veteran player-assistant Tim Ryan rolled back the years, with a vintage display at centre-half in the absence of the suspended Greg Young.

Neil Stevens, in his preferred midfield role, was an effective foil for the hard-running Derek Niven until he was forced out of the action after a heavy challenge.

Alastair Taylor, making his first start since his summer move to the Silverlands, gave his best display yet and provided the slide-rule through pass from which Hardy opened the scoring after 14 minutes.

Hardy, on his return from injury after missing the game against Ilkeston, could not be contained by the Marine backline as he netted low from a narrow angle.

For the first time in five matches this season, Buxton had taken the lead - but it was to last only four minutes.

Karl Clair latched on to a loose ball and found the net from 25 yards out, with Arron Jameson unsighted.

It was the first of just two clear openings for the hosts all afternoon and it merely encouraged the visitors to mount further penetrating attacks.

Stand-in Marine stopper Mitchison had to sprawl at full-stretch to keep out a 25-yard free-kick from Jamie Green, before he made a brace of low saves to deny the dangerous Hardy.

However, it was the opening ten minutes in the second half when it seemed inevitable that the Bucks would score again.

With a stiff breeze behind them, they dominated possession as Marine’s goal led a charmed life.

First Tuton rounded the goalkeeper, but Mitchison then outstretched an arm to deny him, before Taylor’s cross bounced back off the bar and then Hardy’s long-range effort was cleared by a defender.

The hosts then had a rare chance but Clair’s lob was cleared last-gasp by Ash Palmer.

The Bucks recovered from that near-miss to continue their efforts at finding a winner.

Hardy went close again but saw his shot rise over the bar, before Palmer’s header from a corner landed on top of the net.

Buxton continued to pepper the Marine box and it was the persistent Tuton who provided the crucial goal on 75 minutes.

The former Matlock man collected the ball at the corner of the penalty area, outmuscled a Marine defender and then netted low and stylishly.

As the clock ticked down Hardy again went close to scoring, but the hosts never threatened to take a share of the spoils as Buxton ensured a maiden three-point haul.

Buxton: Jameson, Ludlam, Green, Stevens (Williams 66), Palmer, Ryan, Taylor, Niven, Tuton, Hardy, King.

Att: 343.