League Cup exit for under-par Buxton

Derek Niven netted for Buxton on Tuesday.
Derek Niven netted for Buxton on Tuesday.

Buxton exited the Doodson Sport League Cup at the second round stage on Tuesday night, after a 2-1 defeat at Lincoln United in front of just 57 fans.

An under-strength Buxton lost out on a bitterly cold Tuesday evening as the ten-man hosts clung on to their slender lead established just prior to the interval.

United’s right-back Jordan Lemon deservedly saw yellow for a second time after 65 minutes and thereafter the increasingly dominant Bucks tried in vain to break down the massed ranks of Lincoln defenders.

With main marksmen Hardy, Tuton and Reed all rested, they lacked a cutting edge particularly as loanee striker Tom Corner couldn’t advance his claim to a place in the usual starting line-up.

Their best chances of an equaliser came close to full-time as a fierce Green free-kick evaded substitute James Handley before Greg Young missed the target when found by a fine lofted Stevens pass.

This tense finish proved a suitable conclusion to a pleasing tie played on a good surface, but arguably in front of the smallest post-war crowd to watch a Buxton fixture.

Youngsters Shamari Doyle and Alex Stacey made good use of the ball for the visitors, while Laurie Wilson orchestrated forward probes from a deep-lying role.

In the 24th minute he struck a delightful 50-yard diagonal ball for the pacey Green to run on to, but the goalscoring left-back surprisingly found only the side netting from a narrow angle.

However, the visitors lead was merely delayed.

Lemon received his first caution for a heavy foul on the flying King out on the left and when Wilson sent the free-kick into the near-post, Derek Niven applied the deftest headed touch to find the net.

Undaunted by the setback, a confident Lincoln hit back when Matt Cotton fired home the equaliser.

He then struck again from a similar angle on 43 minutes to turn the tie on its head.

The second half exchanges continued to be even until Lemon’s dismissal but Lincoln’s resistance proved effectively stubborn.

Nevertheless at the end Buxton seemed to have a clean bill of health ahead of Saturday’s important league visit to in-form Barwell.

Buxton: Reay, Doyle, Young, Ryan, Green, Williams, Niven (Handley 72), Wilson (Stevens 45), King, Corner, Stacey (Airey 45).

Unused subs; Palmer and Jameson.