Late rally in vain for injury-hit Buxton in midweek clash at Whitby

Evo-Stik Premier Division

Whitby Town 1

Buxton 0

IT WAS a case of 12 being unlucky for Buxton at windy Whitby last Wednesday as the club met defeat for the first time in 11 games - in its 12th consecutive midweek fixture.

Injuries and unavailabilities resulted in a debut for Buxton Christians striker Paul Sullivan - but within a minute he was having his head bandaged to staunch the flow of a deep cut. He soldiered on until half time before leaving for hospital treatment.

By then, his team-mates had contained with defiance Whitby’s attack as the home side dominated possession with a stiff wind behind it.

However, with keeper Scott Hartley alert to balls entering the penalty area and the back four soundness itself, Whitby’s scoring opportunities were few, but their best two came within a minute midway through the half.

Scott’s deflected free-kick set-up McTiernan for a first-time effort but his shot passed wide. Then from Town’s first corner, centre back Burgess sent a glancing header also wide of the target.

Reduced to mere containment for the first half hour, the Bucks thereafter showed some improvement, but Josh Wilde’s promising run forward, aided by Michael Towey, came to nothing and soon afterwards the outstanding Gregg Anderson had to cut out a Hackworth flick header when his strike partner Andy Campbell was moving into a dangerous position.

Though Hartley was the first keeper in second-half action by diverting Hackworth’s cross-shot, the visitors were at last offering an attacking threat.

Ovington volleyed over the bar from Ridley’s cross, then Towey’s half volley was saved at the second attempt by the veteran David Campbell.

It was his namesake Andy, the former Middlesborough player, who scored the vital goal on the hour with a speculative cross-cum-shot from the right flank that deceived the Buxton keeper. It was the only goal he had conceded in 380 minutes of play.

Five minutes later his opposite number stood helpless as Wilde’s 30-yard drive cleared the bar, then Ovington’s cross narrowly missed the threatening Lugsden at the far post.

A double substitution and the transfer of Tommy Agus to the attack contributed to a bout of Buxton pressure in a desperate bid to save a point. Agus’ 35-yard thunderous free-kick produced a flying save from the home keeper.

Then Hartley advanced for successive corners but all was in vain.

Buxton: Hartley, Black, Agus, Wilde, Towey, Ridley, Stevens (Moseley, 75), Ovington (Askey, 75), Sullivan (Johnson, 45), Lugsden. Sub not used: Kirkland. Attendance: 244.