King’s Lynn 3-1 Buxton - match report

Buxton away at King's Lynn.
Buxton away at King's Lynn.

Buxton fell to a fourth consecutive league defeat last weekend, as they were beaten at King’s Lynn Town.

The hosts emerged battered and bruised to move back into the top-four of the Evo-Stik Premier Division after their fourth win on the bounce, whilst Martin McIntosh’s men continue to search for their first league point of 2014.

A first-half goal from Ewan Clarke was added to by George Thomson and Jake Jones, before Matt Thornhill’s effort served as a mere consolation for the Bucks.

But it wasn’t all plain-sailing in a game which saw Dan Quigley and Ryan Clarke suffer head and facial injuries.

Buxton arrived at The Walks without a win in five games, but that statistic didn’t look evident during the early exchanges.


Alex Street brilliantly pushed away Jacob Hazel’s thumping half-volley before Lee Morris headed over in what was a glorious chance for the visitors.

Thomson then forced Andy Warrington into a fine save at the other end, but the hosts didn’t have to wait much longer to take the lead when Jack McGovern’s centre was met by the head of Ewan Clarke.

The busy Thomson saw his free-kick pushed away for a corner by Warrington as the Linnets threatened to blow the visitors away.

Despite their dominance and flowing football, the hosts failed to kill the game off until netting twice in a four-minute period at the start of the second half.

It arrived when Thomson, who also had a free-kick pushed around the post for a corner late in the first period,

Thomson drilled home from 20 yards and, shortly after he made it 3-0 with a curling finish.

Buxton reduced the arrears midway through the second half after Thornhill beat an indecisive Street to a Steven Istead cross.

The strike was the sixth of the season for the former Nottingham Forest man.

The Bucks continued to push the Norfolk outfit back in the final 20 minutes and Thornhill nearly bagged his second with a shot from 20 yards, but Street palmed it away, before the same player fired over the woodwork when well placed a few minutes later.

Both teams should have been awarded penalties late on - Bore handling the ball in the Lynn area and almost immediately at the other end Jones was grounded by Palmer, but referee Chris Francis waved both appeals away.

Bucks: Warrington, Black, Green, Istead, Palmer, Ryan, Stevens (Thornhill 56), Niven, Morris, Hazel (Reed 56), King.