Injury-hit Bucks pay the price for slow start at Farsley Celtic

Buxton FC v Grantham, Ant Wilson
Buxton FC v Grantham, Ant Wilson

Buxton FC lost on their first visit to the Throstle Nest in 20 years, as two late goals for the hosts put the gloss on a 3-0 win for Farsley Celtic.

A lacklustre first half display from the Bucks ultimately laid the foundations for the defeat while two late second half goals sealed it on Saturday.

Judged only on their post-interval display the visitors could be said to have been rather unlucky to lose the half 2-0 as they totally dominated proceedings for 25 minutes.

Buxton were fortunate to have conceded just once in a first half during which they entirely failed to test home ‘keeper McKibbin.

The mitigating factor in Buxton’s favour was the continuing absence of as many as five front-line players.

Baker, Smith, Taylor and Wilson all returned but Budtz and Ravenhill were completing their suspensions while Doran, Hinsley and Young remained on the injured list.

Even so, Celtic took immediate control, forcing three corners in the opening 11 minutes with the Bucks lacking intensity in their game and unsurprisingly scored from the third.

Defenders couldn’t clear the ball with ex-Darlington goal-poacher, Cartman, finding the net from close range.

Ellis planted a free header wide of the target, Watson went close from 25 yards, while Jaaskelainen saved well with his legs as Celtic went in search of a second.

Watson hit the post with a free-kick and Ellis missed from close range as the Bucks were clinging on for half time.

Wilson replaced Smith at the break and Buxton immediately looked much more like their best selves, running the game from 10 minutes in but without converting several half-chances.

From a corner won by Hardy, two goal-bound shots were blocked and similarly when McGee reached the by-line. Broadhead then shot wide from close range.

For 25 minutes Celtic had struggled to get out of their own half but in the 79th-minute they did and from a low right-flank cross, McGee’s far-post error gave Parkin time and space to net the decisive second goal.

Suddenly re-energised, Farsley attacked again and Parkin, once more stationed at the far post, made it 3-0, with Jaaskelainen in vain getting a hand to the shot.

BUXTON: Jaaskelainen, Baker, McWilliams, Broadhead, Miller, Maguire, Meade, McGee, Smith (Wilson), Hardy (Taylor), Grayson. Subs not used: Morrison, McDermott, Biggs.