Ilkeston 0-2 Buxton - match report

editorial image
Share this article

Buxton recorded back-to-back wins for the first time since December, thanks to a derby-day 2-0 victory away at Ilkeston last Saturday.

A goal in either half from loan striker Liam Hardy saw Martin McIntosh’s side move above their hosts, on goal difference.

Following the hammering of King’s Lynn three days previously, Buxton’s players again put in a commendable shift, with first-rate performances throughout.

It was a confident performance from all Bucks’ players, with Andy Warrington relatively untroubled and the defence staying strong all afternoon, with Jamie Green and Ash Palmer in particular impressing.

In midfield Neil Stevens maintained his good recent form whilst on the wing, Craig King proved a menacing threat to the Ilkeston backline.

Both sides created early chances with Joe Maguire heading wide from a corner for the hosts, before Matt Thornhill’s 25-yard effort flew over the bar for the Bucks.

The Robins then made inroads down the left flank but Warrington matched a low effort from Adams.

The opening goal arrived shortly after, some six minutes before half-time and 20-goal top-scorer Lee Morris was the creator.

Morris’ shot inside the penalty area ricocheted off Maguire and fell nicely for Hardy, who pounced to find the net from six yards out.

Ilkeston nearly had an equaliser in first-half stoppage time as Rob Duffy ran onto a through-ball, but hit a difficult half volley straight into the arms of Warrington.

As was to be expected, and with the wind at their backs, Ilkeston pressed for an equaliser after the break, but Buxton’s rearguard stood firm.

A double change just before the hour saw the introduction of Mark Reed and Spencer Harris, who is back from his trial in Irish football.

The pair freshened up the visitors and it was Reed who helped set up the second and pivotal goal.

The striker’s expert backheader fell into Hardy’s stride and he hammered the ball beyond Ross Etheridge for his fifth goal in a Bucks’ shirt.

The hosts’ day was summed up late on when debutant Eli Bako reacted to a tackle from Harris and earned a straight red for his reaction.

Buxton: Warrington, Ludlam, Palmer, Brooks, Green, Stevens, Davies (Niven), Thornhill (Harris), Hardy, Morris (Reed), King.

Unused subs: Hodder, Istead.