Home win in survival bid

Buxton Fc v Ashton Utd, opening goal scorer Bradley Barraclough
Buxton Fc v Ashton Utd, opening goal scorer Bradley Barraclough

Evo-Stik Premier Division: Buxton 2, Ashton United 1

BUXTON FC picked up their second successive win, and their first home league victory since September, when they beat Ashton United 2-1 at the Silverlands on Saturday.

The Bucks, who were almost unchanged from the side who beat Burscough a week earlier, dominated throughout and kept keeper Terry Smith busy.

Buxton Fc v Ashton Utd,

Buxton Fc v Ashton Utd,

Indeed, with just four minutes gone, Buxton went ahead when Bradley Barraclough curled the ball round Ashton’s defence and Smith into the bottom corner.

However, Buxton were forced to make an early substitution when Grant Black pulled up with an injury and had to be replaced by Neil Stevens with less than 20 minutes gone.

Barraclough, who looked Buxton’s most threatening player all afternoon, was unlucky not to see his goal tally double on 24 minutes with a header that hit the post.

Ashton’s Aaron Burns made a break just before the half hour mark but resolute defending from Marc Roberts saw him pushed out wide.

Then, Michael Towey and Steve Ridley both saw long range efforts go wide as the first period ended.

The second half started with loan signing Nabil Brahim-Bounab making his home debut for Buxton in place of Scott Maxfield, as the Bucks looked to capitalise on their advantage.

A Buxton corner was cleared easily by Smith with 53 minutes gone and three minutes later, Kieran Lugsden failed to make the most of being in a good position when he shot straight at Smith’s feet.

The Bucks were then dealt a further blow when Josh Wilde also had to go off after picking up an injury, with Adrian Hawes his replacement.

Smith had to be alert to a goalmouth scramble on 70 minutes but there was nothing he could do three minutes later when Kieran Lugsden tapped home the rebound from an earlier shot to double Buxton’s lead.

The two-goal cushion lasted just a few minutes though as Scott Hartley was judged to have brought down Alex Frost in the area to concede a penalty.

Aaron Burns converted easily to pull a goal back for Ashton with 77 minutes played but Buxton held on to secure three vital points.

Buxton: Hartley, Black (Stevens), Wilde (Hawes), Istead, Agus, Roberts, Maxfield (Bounab), Towey, Barraclough, Lugsden, Ridley. Attendance: 244.