Hillmen survive late barrage to secure derby win over rivals

Share this article

Vodkat Premier Division

Barnoldswick 2

Glossop North End 1

Glossop North End’s good run of form came to an end against Barnoldswick Town on Saturday.

North End opened the scoring through Sam Hind in the 31st minute after a ball fell loose in the box and Hind lashed it home from six yards. The goal came after good work down the left by Alex Elliot.

Barnoldswick took control of the majority of possession after the break.

The home team levelled in the 72nd minute when the referee gave a penalty for a supposed push by Kelvin Lugsden in the box. The penalty was dispatched expertly to McIlwaine’s left.

The inevitable winner came only six minutes later when a lapse in concentration in the defence led to a free run at goal for Barnoldswick.

Matt Clarke came over from right back and made a brilliant last ditch tackle but the ball fell to Liam Garbutt who stroked the ball into the top corner of McIlwaine’s net.

There was a late surge by Glossop including a chance for Hind in extra time to steal a point. The ball landed at Hind’s feet in the box whose left-footed shot was weak and easily saved by the Barnoldswick goalkeeper.

Glossop North End 2

New Mills 1

GLOSSOP recorded a great victory last Wednesday night as the Hillmen defeated the Millers 2-1 at Surrey Street.

Despite missing key players Adam Oakes and Rob Hartshorne, Glossop started the game on the front foot.

Alex Elliot linked impressively with Garry Kharas and Elliot’s well-struck shot was easily saved by Dominic Ingram-Hughes in the Millers’ goal.

The Hillmen could have taken an early lead via Kharas but his effort on goal was blocked by team-mate Sam Hind.

Kharas failed to take another chance at the end of the first half when the ball landed at his feet in the penalty box but his shot was weak.

The match sparked into life in the second half as both teams went for the win.

New Mills almost opened the scoring 30 seconds after the restart but the ball flashed past the post.

The game could have changed dramatically when Millers’ defender Liam Coyne escaped a second yellow after a reckless challenge on Darren Hamilton.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 66th minute by captain Jay Gorton.

A beautifully floated corner by Daniel Broome was met by an unmarked Gorton in the six-yard box, and his powerful header found the back of the net via the underside of the bar.

Two minutes later, Hind made it 2-0. A Richard Gresty free-kick was flicked on expertly by Kharas to a grateful Hind who controlled the ball, swivelled and smashed it home with his left foot.

A defensive lapse led to Leon Grandison finding a large pocket of space on the edge of box and his shot found the bottom corner of McIlwaine’s goal.

North End were then holding on for the last 20 minutes of the game.

New Mills’ attacks were both threatening and frequent, often going close from numerous corners. But despite this, the Hillmen held on for the victory.