GALLERY: Towering Towey puts Bucks ahead

NBUA 03-11-12 BE 12 Buxton v fritchley athletic. goal.
NBUA 03-11-12 BE 12 Buxton v fritchley athletic. goal.

Evo-Stik Premier Division: Buxton FC 1, Frickley Athletic 0

A MICHAEL Towey header gave Buxton the advantage against Frickley Athletic on Saturday but it was keeper Ian Deakin who was responsible for securing the win after a solid performance in goal.

Bucks manager Martin McIntosh was without the suspended Steve Istead and the injured Kyle Nix so instead gave a start to Anthony Griffith Junior, with Mark Reed and Neil Stevens also returning to the starting line-up. Kieran Lugsden and Scott Maxfield were both on the bench.

NBUA 03-11-12 BE 10 Buxton v fritchley athletic.

NBUA 03-11-12 BE 10 Buxton v fritchley athletic.

Both sides started well, putting keepers Deakin and Tom Woodhead to the test, but for the home side their final touch proved disappointing in the early stages of the match.

Reed found himself in a dangerous position in front of goal with 11 minutes gone but he was unable to make the most of a good pass.

The visitors found themselves denied by Deakin’s legs in the 22nd minute before Buxton’s Lee Morris headed over the bar shortly after.

Deakin blocked a well-curled shot from Frickley’s Jason Yates on 26 minutes and visiting keeper Woodhead punched away a Buxton corner ten minutes later.

In the 41st minute, Reed turned and shot though his effort was off target, but just two minutes later the home side had the lead. David Haggerty’s header from a free-kick hit the bar before the rebound shot was eventually tipped in by Towey.

Just minutes after the restart, Deakin had to be alert after a Matt Bloor strike took a deflection, before Mark Reed’s header on 55 minutes went wide.

Towey made a decent break just after the hour mark but couldn’t create an opening before Deakin made a superb save from close range on 63 minutes to keep the Bucks in the lead.

Hinsley shot over the bar for the visitors on 73 minutes and Deakin was again called into action in the 88th minute when he had to punch away a Frickley free-kick.

Injury time brought a couple of set pieces for the Bucks, which didn’t cause any real problems, and a spell of pressure from the visitors, but Deakin rounded off a good afternoon by calmly collecting all that Frickley threw at him.

The visitors will no doubt have left feeling aggrieved they had nothing to show for their efforts while the Bucks secured a hard-fought three points.

Buxton: Deakin, Black, Sandwith, Stevens, Haggerty, Roberts, Keane (Lugsden 55), Towey, Reed, Morris, Griffith Junior (Maxfield 45). Attendance: 243.