GALLERY: FA Cup exit for Buxton

FA Cup Second Qualifying Round: Buxton 1, Rushall Olympic 2

BUXTON exited the FA Cup at the Second Qualifying Round stage after being beaten 2-1 by Rushall Olympic at the Silverlands on Saturday.

And it was a cruel blow for the Bucks with the visitors’ second goal coming in controversial circumstances.

Both sides created opportunities in the opening exchanges but it was Rushall Olympic who went closest when Ahmed Obeng’s shot hit the woodwork on 14 minutes.

Less than ten minutes later though and the visitors had the advantage when Luke Bottomer latched onto a pass from Obeng and coolly slotted past Scott Hartley.

Buxton tried to respond immediately and a great pass from Mark Reed found Kieran Lugsden but he was pushed out wide before he could shoot.

A few minutes later, Reed found himself in a great position with only keeper Lewis Fenney to beat but the ball didn’t fall kindly and his weak header caused Fenney no problems.

The second goal of the afternoon came five minutes before the break when referee Nicholas Greenhalgh awarded Rushall a penalty after Neil Stevens was adjudged to have fouled Obeng, much to the dismay of many Buxton fans. Mitchell Tolley stepped up to the spot and sent Hartley the wrong way to double his side’s advantage.

Martin Pembleton was unlucky not to pull a goal back for the Bucks on the stroke of half time with a well struck effort that just crept over the bar.

In the second period, Buxton enjoyed somewhat of a revival and were creating chances straight from the kick-off, though Lugsden’s final touch on the ball wasn’t particularly well struck.

A decent ten-minute spell followed as the home side desperately searched for a way back into the game and after a tense scramble when Curtley Williams’ effort was somehow cleared off the line, Buxton finally managed to get a breakthrough when Reed headed home on 57 minutes to give his side a lifeline.

Both sides had half chances as the second period continued but Rushall held on to secure their place in the next round of the competition.

Buxton: Hartley, Stevens, Wilde, Liversidge (Hadley 86), Williams, Maxfield, Pembleton, Ridley (Johnson 75), Reed, Lugsden, Taylor (Towey 45). Att: 238.