FA Cup heartbreak for Buxton FC at Guiseley

Guiseley v Buxton(red)
Guiseley v Buxton(red)

Buxton FC’s FA Cup dream came to a disappointing end on Saturday afternoon when they were beaten 2-0 at Guiseley AFC.

The Bucks made a slow start to the fourth qualifying round tie and were a goal down within the first 30 minutes. But they came out fighting in the second half, and pushed the visitors all the way, with just a 93rd-minute strike sealing the West Yorkshire side’s spot in the next round of the competition.

The home side had made their intentions clear from the start with a dangerous ball into the box just two minutes after kick-off.

They remained in control throughout the first half and it was perhaps a disappointment to them to only have one goal to show for their efforts, despite enjoying the lion’s share of possession.

Indeed, Buxton were unable to create any real opportunities in the opening 45 minutes at Nethermoor Park with Ian Deakin being the busier of the two keepers.

He had to be alert to deny Guiseley from a couple of half decent efforts before the Lions finally broke the deadlock on the 30-minute mark. James Walshaw put the Conference North high-fliers ahead after rising unmarked to meet Wayne Brooksby’s right-hand cross.

With four minutes of the first half remaining, Lee Morris tried to put the Bucks on level terms but his header following a free-kick narrowly missed the target.

But Guiseley were clearly keen to extend their advantage as early as possible and Walshaw came close to adding a second on 43 minutes, only to be denied by the woodwork.

Ten minutes after the restart, Buxton manager Martin McIntosh made his first substitution of the afternoon, introducing Mark Reed to replace Kallum Keane.

And it proved an inspired move by the boss, as Reed almost changed the game with his first touch, when shadowed by a defender in the box, he turned but his weak shot found only the grateful arms of Guiseley keeper Steve Drench.

Seconds later Reed was in the thick of the action again, rising above defender Andy McWilliams to head wide from a Marc Roberts trademark long throw.

Buxton continued to use Roberts to good effect, with his long throws causing the home side difficulty more than once.

A double substitution for the home side was followed a minute later by a double substitution by Buxton as Neil Stevens and Kieran Lugsden replaced Scott Maxfield and Sam Duncum respectively.

With 15 minutes of the match remaining, Guiseley created a decent spell of pressure but were unable to create any real openings to threaten Deakin, despite a series of set-pieces.

The Bucks then missed a good opportunity to get themselves back on level terms when they were unable to get on the end of a Grant Black cross into the box on 77 minutes.

On 83 minutes, Michael Towey’s header from a Roberts throw was aimed at Lee Morris, but keeper Drench got the ball first.

As the game drew to a close, Guiseley piled on the pressure, firing repeated crosses into the box but it wasn’t over yet for Buxton as they too pushed for a goal.

Two Roberts throw-ins created renewed optimism for the travelling faithful who were desperately praying for a way back into the game.

But as injury time arrived, so did Guiseley’s second goal of the game, putting paid to any hopes of a replay and a place in the draw for the next round.

Nicky Boshell capitalised on an opportunity to slot home on 93 minutes while Deakin was off his line, having parried an earlier shot to put the result beyond doubt.

Buxton: Deakin, Black, Sandwith, Istead, Haggerty, Roberts, Keane (Reed, 58), Towey, Morris, Maxfield (Stevens, 71), Duncum (Lugsden, 71).

Attendance: 842.