Defeated in cup competition

Manchester FA Premier Cup 
First Round

Ashton United 4.........................New Mills 1.................................

NEW Mills exited The Manchester FA Premier Cup at the first hurdle after they were defeated by Ashton United at Hurst Cross last Wednesday evening.

The home side, who are currently flying high in The Evo-Stik NPL Premier Division, took the lead in the seventh minute when Aaron Burns scored from close range after The Millers defended a corner kick poorly.

Michael Fish ensured that the visitors stormed back into the game within sixty seconds when Carlos Meakin found the striker, who timed his run to perfection before finishing clinically past Paul Phillips from twelve yards.

Another corner kick proved New Mills’s downfall in the eighteenth minute when Aaron Burns was again afforded too much time and space as his free header whistled past Andrew Mills.

The two fairly evenly matched sides produced an entertaining spectacle after the interval and The Millers were definitely not fazed by their higher ranked opponents. Youngster Sam Mitten possibly had the best chance to grab an equaliser but with time and space available around the edge of the area, the substitute failed to pick his spot and shot over the bar.

Opposing replacement Matthew Kosylo fared much better though as he secured Ashton’s passage into the next round with two goals in the closing stages of the game. Firstly his deft chip over the advancing Andrew Mills found the back of the net and then the same player crashed home from close range after his initial shot had hit the upright.

Those two late strikes put a slightly flattering stance on the score line but New Mills afforded Ashton some cheap goals which ultimately cost them the Cup tie.

New Mills: Andrew Mills, Russell Headley, David Fitzpatrick, Michael Bowler, Tony Barras, Daniel Grimshaw, Carlos Meakin, Mark Innes (Justin Pickering), Michael Fish, Kristian Cox (Sam Mitten), Luke Horrocks. Unused subs: James Moss, Harry Noon, Liam Millen.