Buxton suffer FC Cup hangover

Buxton 0 Worksop 3

Buxton slipped to a 3-0 defeat by Worksop who made it five league wins on their travels so far this season.

But manager Martin McIntosh was not too downhearted after his side’s loss coming after his team gave their all in the FC Cup on Saturday.

“It is obviously disappointing. I think it was a bit about tired legs,” he said. “The squad is really stretched numbers wise and I think we paid the price tonight.”

Buxton were without Marc Roberts, unable to the play due to the terms of his loan agreement from Worksop, Steve Istead who is suspended and the injured Kyle Nix.

But McIntosh admitted those three players would have made a difference.

“All credit to Worksop,” said McIntosh. “I thought they played well tonight and I have to say they deserved the win in the end.”

Buxton also saw Kallum Keane sent off for a second yellow card with 17 minutes to go.

McIntosh had no complaints about the decision: “He deserved the two yellows – they were two fouls. Keano is a committed player as we all are and I don’t think he or anyone else can have any complaints.”

The first half had been fairly even although Ian Deakin in the Buxton goal had come to the rescue of his defence by keeping out the lively Craig King who was through on goal.

Moments later it was Buxton’s turn with determined work from Michael Towey piling on the pressure, and it was scramble for Worksop to clear their lines.

Buxton had their chances but a header from Neil Stevens was blocked and despite some good crosses in from Kevin Sandwith and Grant Black, the home team did not capitalise on good positions.

On the stroke of half time the visitors took the lead with Steve Towers firing in a rebound from close range after Deakin saved a King effort.

The second half saw Buxton start brightly with Scott Maxfield going close to equalising with a well-struck shot from distance that went agonisingly just inches wide of the post.

On 55 minutes a good cross-field ball from Maxfield found Grant Black and his cross was headed into the side netting by Mark Reed.

Buxton fell further behind on 65 minutes. A challenge by Keane gave away a free kick just outside the area. Leon Mettam’s effort crashed into the post and Craig King somehow managed to squeeze his effort in through a crowded penalty box.

Buxton continued to press and Lee Morris pulled his effort wide of goal. Even after Keane was dismissed on 73 minutes for a second yellow card, Buxton still kept going forward.

But the game was decided after Mettam was fouled in the box and substitute Lee Beeson stepped up to score the resulting penalty.

Buxton: Deakin, Black, Sandwith, Stevens (Lugsden 67), Haggerty, Keane, Maxfield, Towey, Reed, Morris, Duncum (Griffith Jnr). Subs not used: Bradbury, Jackson.

Att: 249.