Buxton record is equalled with 2-1 win

Mark Reed now has 249 goals for the Bucks.
Mark Reed now has 249 goals for the Bucks.

Buxton beat Curzon Ashton 2-1 at the Silverlands on Tuesday night as they made it nine wins in a row - equalling the club’ best-ever run of results.

Neil Stevens and Mark Reed - with his 249th goal in a Buxton shirt - secured a ninth consecutive win in all competitions for the Bucks.

Web tile sport

Web tile sport

Curzon pulled one back midway through the second half but the hosts held on to secure a brave and deserved three points.

Martin McIntosh made one change with Mark Reed coming in for Craig King, who dropped to the bench.

The opening exchanges were cagey and frantic.

Jamie Green made a scampering, surging run down the left and picked out Shaun Tuton whose header was straight at Burton in the Curzon goal.

Minutes later excellent build-up play saw Reed presented with a chance only for his effort to just creep wide of the left-hand post.

And a minute the breakthrough came when Neil Stevens drilled home from the right after an excellent set-up.

Buxton were now probing at every opportunity and Hardy’s excellent pace saw him get in behind the defence and drill a ball across the face of goal, only for Tuton to miss contact by a whisker.

Tuton then fired a shot over after Reed’s knock-down before Greg Young just headed over from a corner.

Curzon were reduced to pot-shots from distance as the Bucks’ well-oiled defence stood firm.

Buxton were bossing the game and just before half-time they nearly doubled their lead only for Stuart Ludlam’s speculative effort just fly over the bar.

Two minutes into the re-start Mark Reed almost made it 2-0.

Hardy dashed down the right and picked out the onrushing Reed who was tightly marked and as a result just blazed over.

Curzon had come out a lot more brighter but Buxton were standing strong.

Neil Stevens should have hit it first time when Reed knocked down for him, but he took far too long to pull the trigger.

Seconds later the Bucks did have their two-goal advantage when Reed notched his 249th goal in a Bucks shirt.

The forward bravely headed home inside a crowded box to make it 2-0 on 58 minutes.

The goal was just reward for the Bucks who absolutely bossed the first hour.

Reed almost had his landmark strike on 63 minutes but his sliding effort just went wide after being put through by Hardy.

Tuton then brought down a Williams cross-field pass expertly before striding towards goal and forcing a good save from Burton.

Curzon continued to knock at the door and they eventually pulled one back with Cummins heading home from a free-kick.

McIntosh responded by making three changes, with Istead, King and Byrne replacing Hardy, Williams and Ludlam as the Bucks looked to see out the final 15 minutes.

Curzon continued to pepper Arron Jameson’s goal and were growing with confidence as the clock ticked down.

They had a venomous free-kick charged down bravely by Niven and then valiantly held on to secure a memorable victory.

Bucks: Jameson, Ludlam (Byrne 73), Young, Palmer, Green, Williams (King 76), Niven, Stevens, Reed, Hardy (Istead 74), Tuton.

Att: 411