Buxton outclass ten-man Lincoln to reach next round of FA Trophy

Buxton FC Kyle Nix
Buxton FC Kyle Nix
Share this article

FA Trophy First Qualifying Round: Lincoln United 0, Buxton FC 4

BUXTON cruised into the next round of the FA Trophy with a four-goal performance that took their tally to 13 goals in the last three matches.

Rock bottom of Division One South, Lincoln were plucky but outclassed opponents who made their task virtually impossible with the 28th minute dismissal of centre-half Reddington, one of their few experienced players, for use of an elbow on Lee Morris.

By then the Bucks were firmly in control but the tie was still scoreless largely due to the efforts of home keeper McGann, who made a string of fine early saves, but it was the bounce of the ball as early as the second minute that robbed fit-again Mark Reed of the chance to profit from a Neil Stevens incisive pass.

Then McGann did well to save a curling Kyle Nix free-kick only for the grounded Reed to go close from a rebound and Michael Towey headed over from Sam Duncum’s accurate cross.

McGann shone again in punching out Kevin Sandwith’s free-kick and he made another good save from Towey’s firm header, but it was a post which intervened to keep out a Marc Roberts header from another Sandwith corner.

In a rare Lincoln raid, United made their only serious opening as Funnell hit a low cross from the right but the ball was easily cleared.

The home side was capable of neat passing but couldn’t trouble the Buxton rearguard, and in defence conceded far too many free-kicks close to goal with Nix taking advantage of one of them in the 39th minute. His curling 25-yard effort beat McGann to start a sequence of four goals in 22 minutes.

The visitors’ advantage was doubled just prior to the interval when Sandwith opened his account for the Bucks with a shot of stunning power and accuracy into the far side-netting from the corner of the penalty area.

Moments later it was nearly 3-0 as Reed’s pass enabled Morris to prod the ball past McGann but fractionally wide of a post.

However, immediately after half-time, the visitors did score again as a Morris near-post header from a Sandwith corner was touched into goal by Roberts.

With the Bucks rampant, the ball found the net again just five minutes later but an uncontested hand-ball decision was given against Reed.

By this stage Kyle Nix was pulling all the strings in midfield, spraying the ball accurately to the wide players, and just past the hour one such pass produced a fourth goal. Neil Stevens was the recipient and when his 25-yard power drive was parried by McGann, Morris had the simple task of heading into the unguarded net.

Lincoln substitutes Hutchinson and Leverett looked capable of making an opening but Kallum Keane alertly intercepted and only moments later Towey narrowly missed the target.

After that, Buxton’s best opportunity resulted from a concerted attack in which a Stevens drive was blocked and a David Haggerty header parried, but neither Reed nor substitute Kieran Lugsden could force the ball home.

Buxton: Deakin, Keane, Roberts, Haggerty, Sandwith, Stevens, Towey, Nix, Duncum, Reed, Morris (Lugsden, 66). Substitutes not used: Black, Istead, Maxfield. Attendance: 107.