Buxton make it back-to-back league wins as they close gap on leaders

Greg Young (left) notched his fourth goal for Buxton on Saturday.
Greg Young (left) notched his fourth goal for Buxton on Saturday.

Buxton secured an important 2-1 victory at the home of in-form Barwell last Saturday.

Club of the month for November, unfancied Barwell had won nine and drawn two of their previous 13 league fixtures but were second best for much of this encounter.

The Bucks were on top for large periods during the game as they maintained their improved attacking form from the previous league outing against Stourbridge.

The victory moves Buxton to within four points of table-toppers Skelmersdale, with a game in hand.

The visitors, playing down the pronounced slope in the first half, were soon into their stride as a short corner promoted havoc in the home penalty area.

Liam Hardy’s cross eluded the waiting Shaun Tuton, before Barwell hit back to force Arron Jameson into parrying a 25-yard drive with a flying save.

However, Buxton hit back and eventually took the lead after 12 minutes.

Tuton looked a certain scorer as he broke clear down the centre but Barwell ‘keeper Castle saved with a leg.

The ball eventually fell to Hardy on the left and the striker cut inside and scored superbly with a low, diagonal effort.

Alastair Taylor went close to doubling the advantage with a powerful left-footed drive that Castle saved by his near-post, but immediately afterwards the Bucks’ suffered an unexpected setback.

A seemingly innocuous ball played in from their left posed no danger until Jameson and Green’s misunderstanding allowed Towers to find the unguarded net.

To their credit Buxton immediately returned to mount further convincing attacks and after Tuton had shot over the bar from 22 yards, Greg Young’s header from a corner fractionally cleared the bar.

Castle then pulled off a good save to divert Tuton’s stabbed effort before a low cross from Taylor eluded all.

Buxton resumed at high tempo after the interval and Taylor fired in a low, driven cross when he might have shot for goal.

What proved to be the winning goal arrived soon afterwards in fine fashion.

A neatly-worked free-kick by Green saw Wilson’s firm drive hit the post and as many as four Buxton players got ahead of the flat-footed defenders with Young forcing home the rebound for his fourth of the campaign.

From around the hour mark, the spirited Barwell at last got on top as for a spell the Bucks’ were reduced to merely clearing their lines.

However, Martin McIntosh’s well-drilled defence remained resolute and their effective defending kept home scoring chances to a minimum.

Free-kicks were peppered into the visitors’ box and a Lavery header tested Jameson.

Despite Barwell bombarding the penalty area in search of an equaliser, Buxton held on for all three points.