Buxton FC’s return to league action ends with Workington defeat

Nottingham Forest overcame Fulham 3-0 on Saturday
Nottingham Forest overcame Fulham 3-0 on Saturday

Buxton returned to league action for the first time since October 27th with a 2-0 defeat against high-flying Workington.

The plain truth was that the fourth-placed visitors adapted far better to the windy conditions.

They were much the better side in both halves as the Cumbrians showed no ill affects of their six hour coach journey.

The visitors had enough openings to have sown up the points before their last minute second goal arrived.

Even so the returning Liam Hardy looked to have set up his side in the 13th minute by robbing defender May, but his low cross was cut out.

Four minutes later former Buxton midfielder Joe McGee gave Workington the lead.

He received the ball near the by-line, 12 yards out, powered inside past his marker and the in-rushing Glenn Belezika couldn’t keep out the firm low shot. Joel Bembo-Leta headed over the bar from a Jamie Green free-kick, but it took the impressive Phil Barnes to prevent a two-goal deficit as he first blocked and then held Rob Wilson’s close range shot.

With his side struggling to threaten as an attacking force, Hardy tried his luck from fully 40-yards out at a free-kick but couldn’t find the target.

The second half followed much the same pattern with the visitors looking more likely to score next.

Going close were left-back Rowntree with a wind-assisted curler and McGee again as he all but made contact with Allison’s driven low cross from the left.

Alastair Taylor responded with a positive run up the right, but was then dismissed for violent conduct to make his team’s task even harder. Both managers introduced attacking substitutes but it was Workington’s Gareth Arnison who made the greatest impact.

A superb turn and shot went narrowly wide and, after Barnes had made two fine saves, one low and one high, he pounced on a loose ball to put the result beyond doubt.

Tom Buckley’s late power free-kick from the right caused a threat when a defensive flick-header out for a corner kick ended hopes of even a consolation.

Buxton: Barnes, Buckley, Green (Worsfold), F. Bembo-Leta, J. Bembo-Leta, Belezika, Taylor, Burrell, Burbeary (Barraclough), Hardy, Doran (Wiles). Subs not used: D. Bembo-Leta, Ryan.