Buxton are beaten in injury-time by Blyth Spartans

editorial image

Buxton were agonisingly denied a deserved point after Dan Maguire’s 91st minute goal gave Blyth Spartans a 1-0 win.

It had taken more than 270 minutes of the new season for any opposing team to puncture Buxton’s rearguard, with the goal ended the Bucks 100 per cent start to the season.

The outcome could have gone either way as both teams created scoring chances without ever dominating proceedings.

The Bucks started the better, but from the quarter-hour mark Blyth were superior to the interval before the visitors shaded the second half until Spartans’ decisive final flourish.

One change was made to the starting line-up with Niall Doran’s full debut at the expense of Osebi Abadaki, who was later introduced along with Bradley Barraclough in the management’s attempt to win rather than draw the match.

Doran justified his selection as did the other young newcomer, Brad-Lee Gascoigne, whose defensive partnership with skipper Greg Young proved a major obstacle to Blyth’s attack.

Buxton’s first opening was created as early as the fourth minute, but Liam Hardy couldn’t direct his header from Jamie Green’s cross.

Then Morse’s back-pass all but stranded ‘keeper McHugh before Spartans showed their attacking quality with Richardson’s first-time shot from a Nicholson free-kick.

The visitors continued to threaten from time to time as Blyth enjoyed more of the possession, particularly from an Ash Burbeary free-kick that was knocked on to Hardy. whose short cross evaded McHugh without a Buxton player on hand to convert.

Blyth developed their left side attacking play as the interval approached with first Young making a vital interception, then Dale and Maguire working a dangerous one-two.

But the former’ attempt at a placed shot was high and wide of the angle.

Spartans threatened first after the break with Phil Barnes’s good work denying Maguire, before Warren Burrell, in a fine midfield display,did superbly well to meet a Burbeary corner as he glanced a header wide.

Then a Green corner didn’t quite fall right for back-to-goal Hardy.

Substitutions made for a more open game and, within five minutes of his arrival, Barraclough sent a header wide after Burbeary had advanced on the left, before Maguire missed the target.

Spartans pushed hard for a winner, but Young’s outstanding contribution seemed likely to deny them until the first minute of the three added for the substitutions by the excellent referee.

Appropriately it was attacking right-back Nicholson’s surging run, allowed to develop after a hefty challenge on Barraclough, that set up Blyth’s winner,comfortably converted by Maguire.