Buxton 5-1 Grantham - report

Buxton FC v Grantham Town, Shaun Tuton
Buxton FC v Grantham Town, Shaun Tuton

Buxton romped to their first home win of the season after a convincing 5-1 win over Grantham on Tuesday.

Liam Hardy grabbed the plaudits with a hat-trick, while there was also strikes from Greg Young and substitute Mark Reed.

Buxton FC v Grantham Town, Liam Hardy

Buxton FC v Grantham Town, Liam Hardy

The Bucks were in control of the match throughout and are now unbeaten in five games.

Martin McIntosh made one change to the side which beat Marine at the weekend.

Young was brought straight back in after his one-match ban, replacing player-assistant Tim Ryan, whilst there was a place on the bench for the returning Reed.

Ash Palmer had the best chance of the opening exchanges, and should have scored when a flick-on from a free-kick found him unmarked in front of goal but the centre-half could only blaze over.

Buxton were then presented with a great chance when Hardy was clipped inside the area inside ten minutes.

The referee was abrupt in awarding the spot-kick, which Hardy duly slotted home.

Buxton were lifted by the goal and instantly set out in finding another - and quickly.

The returning Young saw his header clip a bar soon after, but he didn’t have too long to wait before finding the net.

The centre-half stayed up for an attack and was there to finish coolly inside the box from a Shaun Tuton cross.

The feelgood factor lasted until the 21st minute when Buxton got sloppy in possession near their own goal.

First Niven passed to the wrong shirt when under no pressure, before Green followed suit and paid the price accordingly.

McGovern latched on to the ball and picked out Greg Smith in the centre of the box, who headed beyond Arron Jameson.

Young again went close to adding a further goal, but his header sailed just wide - his fourth attempt of the first half.

The first 15 minutes of the second half were scrappy but Hardy grabbed his second after a hopeful ball forward from Stuart Ludlam.

Hardy latched on to it, outpaced Meikle and finished well underneath the onrushing goalkeeper.

The Bucks were then given a scare when Jameson’s weak punch found Smith unmarked, but the striker’s shot was blocked on the line by the back-tracking Niven.

Alastair Taylor then rushed up the other end and saw a blistering effort just fly over at the near-post.

A spell of Grantham pressure was then ridden out by the hosts, and a quick counter soon led to the fourth goal for Buxton.

Tuton’s run down the left led him into the box and his floated ball picked out substitute Reed, who had plenty of time to head home his 246th goal for the Bucks.

A melee then ensued which stemmed from a challenge by Watt on Ludlam. The outcome was a booking for Watt as well as Smith and Taylor.

The scoreline was given a comprehensive feel three minutes from time, when Hardy lashed home his third after the ball fell kindly to him inside the area.

Buxton: Jameson, Ludlam (Byrne 86), Green, Stevens, Palmer, Young, Taylor, Niven, Tuton, Hardy, King (Reed 60).

Att: 221