Buxton 2-2 Marine - match report

Buxton FC v Marine
Buxton FC v Marine
Share this article

Buxton were denied victory against Marine after a terrific strike in injury time ensured a share of the spoils for the Merseyside outfit.

The visitors took the lead in the first half only for strikes by Craig King and Spencer Harris to propel Buxton in front.

Buxton FC v Marine, Carlos Logan

Buxton FC v Marine, Carlos Logan

However, a late speculative volley by Joe Fowler, his second of the match, earned a point for Marine.

Martin McIntosh made three changes from the last outing against Stocksbridge, with Jack Broadhead ill and Derek Niven and Steve Istead both suspended.

In their place came player-assistant Tim Ryan, Neil Stevens and Harris, who was making his second debut having re-joined the club earlier in the week.

The Bucks made a bright start and Carlos Logan unleashed the first effort on goal after five minutes with a tame shot that just crept past the post.

Soon after a free-kick whipped into the area by Grant Black was volleyed over by the outstretching Lee Morris, with his shot just clearing the bar.

Buxton were very nearly caught cold moments later when a simple punt upfield by the Marine goalkeeper fell to Michael Monaghan, whose effort skimmed the sidenetting.

That served as a warning because just a minute later the visitors did grab the lead after the ball was whipped across the area for Joe Fowler to scoop beyond Andy Warrington.

A heavy downpour then ensued before Buxton upped the tempo and found a route back into the match.

Craig King levelled just after the half-hour mark when he remained composed outside the area before directing a shot beyond Williams.

Morris, who was involved with an altercation late in the half with a Marine defender, made the first chance of the second period with a header which just looped over the bar.

The Bucks nearly took the lead on 65 minutes when a slick combination down the left flank between Jamie Green and King saw the ball fall to Matt Thornhill whose prodded shot with the outside of the foot crashed back off the Marine crossbar.

The introduction of Mark Reed sparked Buxton into life and his lobbed attempt not long after coming on, had to be tipped behind for a corner.

King then flashed a vicious shot just past the far-post before Buxton finally took the lead.

With ten minutes remaining the Bucks scored a goal as good as any they have produced this season.

After good work down the wing from Green, the ball fell kindly to Harris who fired a rasping volley beyond the reach of Williams, from just outside the area.

A bullet header by Ash Palmer was then denied by Williams as too was a Thornhill side-footed shot, as the Bucks went in search of a game-clinching third goal.

Then in the dyeing embers a header from Kieran Lugsden was spectacularly kept out by a flailing hand of Williams.

That save proved to be vital however, as moments later a break up the other end saw the ball fall to Fowler, who grabbed his second of the afternoon in spectacular fashion with a shot arguably more impressive than Harris’ strike.

His effort, from well over 30 yards out, went beyond the flailing Warrington and flew into the net to ensure a point apiece at the Silverlands.

Bucks: Warrington, Green, Black, Palmer, Ryan, Stevens, Thornhill, Harris, King, Morris (Reed 67), Logan (Lugsden 64).